XVIII

To @That_Girl_Elle - because the 'beacons being lit' is one of her favourite scenes (it is mine too, LOVE IT).

Ára stayed the night in Legolas' room, her face buried in his pillow. She awoke with new memories, memories of whispered conversations and of the feeling of his lips pressed against hers. Brushing her fingers against her lips she wondered if it would still feel the same; the need to feel it again surging up inside her at an alarming speed. Shaking it all off she got out of the bed; quickly pulling on her clothes before she made her way down to the dinner hall.

Thranduíl was already there when she arrived and he gestured for her to take a seat next to him; "where will you be going next?" He asked, "back to Minas Tirith?"

She shook her head from side to side, a small smile curling her lips up; "no, not yet at least. I will be going to Dunharrow, where King Theoden of Rohan are assembling men to march towards Gondor and the upcoming battle.

"So that is where my son will be?" Thranduíl asked, curiosity lacing his words.

"I would hope so," she laughed; "if not I fear Aragorn is not there either and it is him I have to speak to. I do not think Legolas will go anywhere that Aragorn does not, so I am hoping they are there."

"Will you speak to him?"

"I promised him to give him time; he has not had many days to collect his thoughts about the mess I have pulled him into."

Thranduíl offered her the most fatherly smile, a twinkle in his eyes when he next spoke; "You did not pull him into your mess, he threw himself in. And though my son can be hardheaded, there is no doubt in my mind that he has missed you so much that what small differences there are of the past you and now wont seem to matter so much any more. Ára or Arya, you are not so different from how you were the first time we met. You are still headstrong; but you also seem calmer – more secure in yourself."

"You sure?" She asked, and the Elven King did not miss how her face lit up.

"I am sure this is not something my son will admit to, but he is more like me than he thinks – when I went through the ritual with his mother I too found it hard to be away from her side."

She smiled warmly at him; her hand landing on his on top of the table, "thank you."

* * *

Ára landed on the outskirts of the encampment, deeming it wisest to not draw too much attention to herself. Cloaking herself in shades she easily slid though the groups of men before quickly scaling the steep road up to the cliff where the King and his closest men were staying. She smiled as she saw Elrond duck into a tent – her eyes for a moment looking around for the familiar shape of Legolas but coming up empty before she followed Elrond; silently sliding into the tent just in time to see Elrond rise from a chair and Aragorn holding a sword up challengingly.

She said nothing, only watched as Elrond revealed himself – making Aragorn lower his sword. She took another step into the tent; letting the shadows she had cloaked herself in disappear. Both elf and man stepped away from her in alarm; Aragorn's sword now raised again and pointed in her direction.

"Forgive me," she said politely; "I did not mean to frighten you." The small curl on her lips gave her away; she was actually rejoicing in their reaction – and they both knew it. They got the conversation done quickly to Ára's relief; Aragorn quickly – albeit reluctantly – agreeing that he should take the road through Dimholt and enlist the help of the spirits of men who had taken refuge there after they were cursed by Isildur.