XXII

To @StreenaSkywalker - for being so upset when the she reached the "to be continued" on last chapter. Thank you for reading it all in a couple of days! That's dedication!

Ára huffed as she turned and paced back the same way that she had just walked. Her eyes kept glancing to the north where she could see smoke rising from Osgiliath, she could sense the darkness there and hated how she had been sent away while the men had fought against the orcs; though the meeting she'd had with Legolas had gone much better than she could ever have hope for. Subconsciously, one of her arms raised until her fingers brushed against her lower lip a smile curling her lips upwards as the memory of soft lips pressing against hers.

"Ára!"

She turned in time to see Gandalf hurry around a corner with a wide-eyed Pippin following right behind him. "They have started to march on the city."

            "Let's pray for the best outcome then," she said – a small smile curling her lips upwards.

            "You think that will help?" Pippin asked softly, wide eyes set on her.

            "No." She smiled back, "not if you do not believe in it." Crouching down so that they were eyelevel. "I believe we can do anything Pip, I believe that if we fight through the night – we will be able to make it out of this alive. I believe that when this is all over you will go back to the Shire and live the rest of your life happily there. Belief Pippin, is a very strong and mysterious thing. Believe that you will make it through this, and maybe – just maybe, the Valar will deem it fit to see you through the night."

            "Can't you do that?" Pippin asked quietly, "you are a Maya after all and your powers are greater than I could ever imagine."

Smiling, she wrapped her arms around the little hobbit – the warmth of her body heating up his already cold body. "I will put in a good word for you dear Pippin, and I will fight until my dying breath to make sure you make it through the night."

            "I guess that will have to do then." Pippin smiled as he pulled away, looking at least a bit more ready for what would come.

Turning towards Gandalf she nodded her head at him, letting him know silently that she would be ready in a second. Turning she walked further into the room and strapping on her weapons, she picked up the vambraces she had received as a present from the King of Mirkwood. Letting her thumb rub softly over the engraved leafs she allowed a small smile to grace her face before she strapped them onto her forearms. She had already strapped her two long-knives onto her back with a full quiver resting in between them. Fastening two smaller blades – one on each thigh, she slipped a final small knife into the top of her right boot.

Turning she nodded to Gandalf and patted Pippin's shoulder as she walked past him;

            "where is she going?" She could hear Pippin ask. "To the lower city walls," Gandalf replied.

            "But that is where the enemy will strike first!" Pippin cried, and though she had already gotten quite a bit away from them she could hear him shuffling to reach her. Gandalf's voice seemed to stop him; "precisely, and that is why she is going down there."

Stepping under a causeway she lost the rest of their conversation as it was swallowed up by the rustle of all of the soldiers panicking in the courtyard.

They all came to a standstill as she stepped out of the shadows. Her silver eyes surveying them silently.

            "Get to your places," she said silently – knowing they all heard her voice perfectly clear. "It is alright to be frightened, but panicking will not help you. I need you to be clear-minded. Your steward needs you to be clear-minded."