Chapter 10

I left that day. I sold my condo, packed my shit, and took a bus to Philadelphia. I moved in with Emma at her apartment.

I bought a 1992 Volkswagen Bus. I renovated it so it has a small stove, a sink, cabinet, a little table, a bed in the back and one on the roof where it expands, and there's cupboards under the bed that is my dresser.

I lived with Emma for a month, and then I started travelling the country.

I've been to every single state. It's been six months since I've left, and it's fun, but still, I feel like a part of me is missing, so I'm at the courthouse in Florida to get my legal birth certificate.

I've been waiting around for hours.

It's nice. Living out of my bus, the only thing I have to pay for is my gas and food.

I have millions saved, but still.

Finally, they hand me the manila folder and I leave, going back to the bus. I sit in the bed in the back, ripping open the file, I see it.

Pete and Lisa Stark.

I stare at it.

This sounds like bullshit.

I stare at it, and then I google them, pay some money to get information, get an address.

Tampa, Florida.

I sigh, starting the bus, and I leave, heading for Tampa.

<><>

I arrive at nine at night, and the lights are on in the house.

Old me would need some pushing before going in, but I honestly don't care.

I go up and knock on the door.

The door opens, and an African American woman stands there.

She stares at me, and I stare at her.

I clear my throat.

"Um...this must be the wrong house." I say awkwardly.

"What are you looking for?" she asks.

"Uh, my parents." I laugh awkwardly. "Pete and Lisa Stark?" I ask, frowning.

Her eyes flood with realiation.

"Brecklyn?" she asks.

"Uh...yeah..."

I mean...

How is my Mother African American?

"Oh, well, you're one step closer." She smiles. "We adopted you when you were a baby, but we ran out of money and you were sick and we couldn't take care of you, so we gave you up." She shrugs. "We had you from...I dunno a month and a half until you were six months." She shrugs. "I do have your actual birth certificate though. Come on in."

Hesitating, I follow her into the house.

The house is dark and messy.

I can tell by the way these people live, this is not my family.

I would be a completely different person if I grew up with them.

"Pete isn't home." She says, sifting through files. She pulls out a manila folder.

"Here you go, that's photos of you while we had you, legal documents and everything."

"Thank you." I say.

"You're welcome." She hugs me.

I hug her back awkwardly, and then I leave.

I get back in the bus and drive to a Walmart and park, and I open the stuff.