Chapter 18

I haven't heard from Noah in three days. I tried calling and texting, but I think he's blocked me.

I'm on the plane to France, and I can't stop thinking about him.

I need to be patient.

We've been on the plane for so long. I want to land.

I watch Netflix on the planes wifi and fall asleep on Dad's shoulder

<><>

When I rouse, we're landed in France.

We all exit the plane and go to baggage.

We get our things and Dad talks in fluent French to the taxi driver.

"Um, I don't know French." I say.

"It's fine. Our family, they speak English around us." Mom smiles. "They're very excite to meet you."

I smile, nervous.

We ride in the taxi and after a while, we stop and get out.

We walk a bit, and then we enter a house.

I'm so nervous.

"We have arrived!" Dad calls.

I hear a gasp.

Everyone ditches their suitcases. I follow them, and we walk into the room that I think it a living room. There's a kind old woman and man, a woman that looks like my Dad in female form, a man with black hair and brown eyes, and a guy with blonde hair and green eyes.

He reminds me of Noah.

Everyone hugs everyone.

All of their eyes rest on me.

"Guys, this is Brecklyn." Dad smiles. "Brecklyn, these are your grandparents, Nana and Papa, your Aunt Lynn, your Uncle Christopher, and your cousin, Jackson."

"Hi." I say nervously.

"Oh my goodness. You are so beautiful!" my Nana hugs me, kissing my cheeks.

They all greet me like I'm part of the family.

<><>

It was natural.

It is natural.

We spent Christmas happy giving out gifts and having fun, but I'm sad, and I miss Noah.

I haven't been talking about it, but Mom told them about him.

It's three days before New Years, and I'm sitting in the kitchen with a mug of coffee, frowning into the dark liquid.

It's six in the evening here. They were watching a love movie, but I had to leave the room. I couldn't watch it.

"If you stared at that drink any harder, I think you'd make it boil." My Nana says gently behind me.

My eyes are full of tears.

I look up, smiling.

"Oh." I sniffle. "Yeah, I guess."

She frowns.

"Is this about Noah?" she asks.

I take a deep breath, nodding.

"You love him." He says.

"Yes." I whisper.

"He loves you, you know. Your Mom showed me and your aunt photos of you two. He really loves you."