Chapter 13

He never called me. I assumed he fell asleep or something. He didn't call me the next day, and he never let me know if he was coming over. I called him myself, but his phone went right to voicemail.

I was really worried-I still am. I was talking to Mom and Dad and Charlotte and they think I'm simply overreacting.

I have a really bad feeling about this, though.

I'm rushing to the dugout after getting dressed for the same on Thursday.

"Where's Noah?" coach ask the second I walk into the dugout.

I pause.

"What?"

I look at Ben.

"When did you last talk to him?" I ask Ben.

"Tuesday." He says. "I tried to call him yesterday, but his phone went-"

"Right to voicemail." I say. "Something is wrong."

"You're overreacting. He's going to show up." Coach waves us off.

<><>

He made me stay to play the gam me, and I did, but I couldn't hit the ball.

I couldn't focus.

The whole crowd is confused.

The game ends and we lose miserably.

I walk into the dugout.

"I need his paren'ts address." I say to Ben.

He hesitates.

"Noah's parents are super sweet. They're going to freak out if you meet them and-"

"I don't care." I say.

Sighing, he texts me the address.

I walk out.

<><>

I drove to Vermont, and my stomach drops when I see his car isn't in the driveway.

I park in the driveway and get out. Mom and dad and Charlotte told me I'm being ridiculous, that I don't need to come all the way out here, but I have a gut feeling, and I'm going to follow it.

I get out of the car walking up to the door.

I ring the bell, and there's a pause, and than a tall guy that looks exactly like Noah but a bit older opens the door.

"Hi?" he says.

"Is Noah here?" I ask.

"Noah?" he asks. "No, he lives in New York. Why? Who are you?"

"My name is-"

"Brecklyn!" a kind woman with blonde hair says behind him.

He looks at me.

"Brecklyn. His girlfriend." He smiles.
"Yes." I say. "He's not here?"

"No honey, why would he be here?" the woman says, letting me in the house.
"He told me Tuesday that he was coming here and that he would call me, ad he never did. I figured he fell asleep. Then yesterday he was supposed to come over when he got back but he did, he's not home, his phone is going right too voicemail, and he never showed up to the game today. Everyone is telling me I'm overreacting, but I'm tell you, this isn't Noah."

A man is in the foyer now, and they're all listening to me intently.

"I believe you. So, what do you want to do?" the man asks.