Chapter 20

I called around and got the most expensive lawyer in the entire country. I paid him to fly out here.

Now we're at my parents house. We're all sitting around the living room.

Brecklyn told me she won't let Charlotte go down.

"Okay, so let me get this straight." The lawyer, Mr. Kraig says. "Brecklyn owns the car, she let Charlotte drive it. Charlotte hit somebody and took off. They arrested Brecklyn for a hit and run felony, attempted murder, and destruction of property, even though it was Charlotte. Now Brecklyn is in jail, and she's refusing to plead not guilty because she doesn't want Charlotte to go down for it?"

"Yes." I sigh.

The lawyer lets out a long sigh.

"If Brecklyn pleads guilty for this, she could get up to one to ten years in prison, and a fine from one hundred to five thousand dollars. If the other person in the hospital dies, she could get between one and twenty five years, and between ten thousand and twenty five thousand dollar fines, along with driving privileges suspended or revoked."

"So what, we have to change her mind?" I ask.

"Yes, unless we stop her first."

"How would we do that?" Mrs. Hart asks.

It's been a month and hardly any of us have been sleeping. They don't allow us to visit her.

How can I sleep when my love is in prison?

"Charlotte would have to confess."

"And then Charlotte gets the same charges?" I ask. "No, that's out of the question.

"Then Brecklyn needs to plead not guilty and we can do whatever we can to keep her from getting a full sentence. If we lose, which, we probably will, then she'll have all of those consequences.

I bury my head in my hands.

I sigh.

The media is following this like hawks because Brecklyn is basically famous.

We have the news on, and it gets to the section about Brecklyn.

"Everyone thing she's gong to die in jail. I mean, I don't disagree-"

"I'm going to do something." I say.

I leave.

Driving to the hospital, I park and get out, walking inside.

"I'm here for somebody, I don't know the name. The person was in an accident for a hit and run."

The person nods, giving me the room number.

I go upstairs.

When I walk in the room, I'm surprised to see it's my old baseball coach.

I stand there a second.

He looks at me.

"Noah? Noah McCarthy?"

I laugh nervously.

"I'm surprised to see you." I admit, walking in slowly.

"Why? What's up?" he asks.

"You got into an accident?" I ask.

"Yeah." He sighs. "Some red Doge Journey."

I shove my hands into my pockets.

"How bad are your injuries?" I ask.

"Minor." He shrugs. "Stitches here, a broken wrist. Other than that, I'm fine."

I nod slowly.

"Why?" he asks.