Chapter 19

Noah messaged me a bit after that, and we left with my grandparents, Aunt and Uncle, and my cousin, Jackson. We're all at his parents house now, and my entire family is here, and his entire family is here, and it's going great.

The conversation is natural and it's like there was never a problem to being with.

Now, my cousin Jackson, he's seventeen, and Charlotte is sixteen, and Katie is sixteen. They all have their licenses, except for Jackson, because he's new to the country and he has to learn the new road rules, and Charlotte has a job, and they're all talking about going somewhere. We're all helping clean up.

"Mom, can I take your car?" Charlotte asks. "We want to go to Walmart."

She's with Katie and Jackson.

"My car isn't here." Mom says. "Noah picked us up, remember?"

She sighs.

Katie looks at Noah.

"Noah, can I-"

"No." he says.

"But-"

"You crashed my mustang, Liam's truck, Dad's truck, and Mom's Toyota. So no."

They all look upset.

"Mom," Katie starts.

"Nope." She says.

She looks at Mr. McCarthy, and he shakes his head, and Liam does the same.

"Brecklyn?" Charlotte starts sweetly. "I've never been in an accident." She bats her eyelashes.

I stare at her.

"You know I worship my car, right?"

My Dodge is my entire life. I worship that car so much.

"I know! I'm super careful! Please can I take it? I'll be really careful."

I pinch the bridge of my nose, thinking.

"Fine." I say. "But you're the only one driving. Drive carefully. Please, don't crash my car." I hand her the keys.

She grins.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!" she takes the keys from me, and they run out. I stand at the window, watching as she drives off.

"She'll be fine." Mom says.

"I know." I say. "But that's my baby." I frown.

"It'll be fine." Noah says.

"I guess." I sigh.

He's at the sink, washing a pan full of sauce, but he's getting frustrated with it because it needs to soak.

I move behind him to help clear off the buffet table, and he turns around, soaking me in soapy tomato sauce.

Everyone is quiet. I look down at my clothes.
"Oh." He says. "Oh god. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He looks like he feels terrible.

I sigh slowly.

"No, it's fine, I'll just, um..."

"You left a bag in my car, I think you might have clothes in there." He says. "I'll be right back."

He goes outside.

He comes back with my favorite outfit. I don't know why I forgot it. I've been looking for it forever.

It's black leggings, and a maroon long sleeve loose shirt. My favorite boots are there, and socks.

"Can I take a shower?" I cringe, looking at Noah's Mom.