Chapter 11

They offered for me to stay with them, and I did, and truthfully, I feel more normal than I ever have.

They're family.

They're home.

I call them Mom and Dad and they treat me like their child.

They boss me around sometimes and ask me to do chores, and it doesn't even bother me. I like have parents.

So it's April 6th. I've been gone eight months today. I know that Noah is probably forgotten me.

We're all sitting on the couch. The season is starting late. We're all sitting.

The Yankee vs Red Sox game is starting.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

This is my team.

These are my guys.

So we all sit and watch, and I help explain things that they don't understand.

I see coach arguing with the other team coach, and then they decide to give us the point.

So it's 1 to 4.

We're losing.

I'm wringing my hands together, frustrated.

We sit through all nine innings, and I can't help but watch Noah. The way he moves.

Finally, at the end, we all sit in silence.

It's 1 to 24.

"What..." I trail off, staring at the screen.

It shows the announcer.

"It seems like the Yankees are going to fail miserable this season because they're losing their secret weapon." He says.

"And what's that, Tony?" the other man asks.

"Well, Brooke Hart, of course! That girl never misses!"

"Shut it off." I growl.

Dad turns the TV off.

I start pacing.

"I mean...I mean...why would he-" I cut off. "It's falling to pieces."

"You should go back." Mom frowns.

I look at her.

"What?" I ask.

"Sweetheart, you're doing amazing. You're happy. We'll see you all the time. Holidays. Birthdays. Every time. But...Noah is waiting. Your team is waiting."

She's right.

"Do you want me to go?" I ask.

"No." she says. "But I think you want to go."

She's right.

I hesitate, and then nod.

"Alright." I say. "I'm going back."

"Let's go with her." Dad says. Take her there. Stay the week." He shrugs. "Why not?"

Mom nods, agreeing.

"Alright."

So I pack my things, and we all leave, me and Charlotte in my car. I got rid of the van. I didn't have a need for it anymore. I have a 2010 Nissan Armada. It's white.

I'll get a hotel until I find somewhere to stay.

We drive there, and I check into a hotel, and right as I get there in the room with my family, my phone chimes.