Nostalgia

BRITTANY

I couldn't quite believe it when the time actually came. I was sitting in my cushioned plane seat with my backpack at my feet and my case stored away in the overhead cabin. There was still a ton of commotion around me with passengers squeezing past each other and loading up their own luggage safely. I had boarded extremely swiftly - anything to keep my mind off of the small part of me which was clinging to stay behind. I just sat there in my seat, watching everything that was going on. I liked looking at people, imagining why they were on this flight, why they were going to Australia. For work? To go home? To visit someone? Maybe just like me they were moving there. I realised soon enough that it was a pointless game to be playing as I would never know if I was right or wrong about who I predicted to be doing what. However it kept me distracted whilst everybody else was boarding and the seconds until the plane lifted into the air passed way too quickly - which was the game's sole purpose.

Once the aisles had begun to clear out a little and most passengers were in their seats, I took my earphones out of my bag, untangling them distractedly and plugged them into my phone - setting my playlist to shuffle. I smiled to myself momentarily as I noticed that the first playlist to play was my RawMotion songs. Warm-up, contemporary class, hiphop class, cool down, etc. All of them had been played the day that this whole Australia thing had begun. Way back when Trev and Isaac somehow screwed up downloading their songs onto their own computer and instead needed mine. The thought of how unlucky I had been to have Trev see the open email crossed my mind. However it was soon killed by the thought that had he not seen the email - I may not have been sat here in this chair, ready to fly to Australia. Maybe if Trevor hadn't have talked some sense into me I wouldn't have taken the job. I may have stayed at home, respectfully declined and forever wondered what would've happened if things had worked out exactly the way they were doing now.

As my music played in my ears and the plane began to slowly crawl along the runway, I was in very deep thought about Victoria and the conversation we had had a day previous to now. It was something which had been on my mind a lot since it had happened but because of how busy I was packing and cleaning and sorting through all my stuff - it had to be pushed aside and ignored to the best of my ability. Now however I was seated on a plane which would be holding me captive for an extremely long time which meant that I had nothing to distract me from thinking about it.

I couldn't quite place my finger on what it was about what she said. There was just something strange. The way she had demanded for clarification that Trevor had been the one who convinced me to go. It was like she was in some sort of disbelief, like she couldn't process what she was hearing. Which made no sense to me whatsoever. I assumed it must've been a link to something which Vic and Trev had been speaking about themselves - one which didn't add up to what I was saying - but regardless it seemed a little bit of a strange topic for her and Trevor to have been discussing. Besides, she hadn't known about Trev being the one convincing me to go until I had told her myself. So something there was sketchy too. Quite possibly the most prominent part of my conversation with Victoria however had been the very last thing she said:

"He did the right thing...God knows how he managed it."

It had confused me. I didn't understand why Trevor wouldn't have managed it. I was definitely out of a loop somewhere. However when I tried to get back inside said loop, by asking Victoria what she meant, she had simply told me to 'never mind.' I wasn't obeying her currently.

Before long most people were seated and I was a few songs into my playlist. The plane had begun moving slowly but surely along the runway and my stomach exploded into butterflies. It was undecided if it was the good kind.