I Would've Known

TREVOR

Before I knew it I was back in the same position as the previous night. I stood there in the bathroom of the club, trying not to catch sight of my reflection in the mirror as I rinsed my hands under the cold water. Looking at myself would be like admitting that it was actually me in my own body tonight; really me behind all of the decisions I had made but couldn't quite figure out why. So instead I was back to being put through the tortures of my own head, interrogating myself for a reason why. A reason why I had let myself get lost in her for that strange moment when her hands were around my neck and mine were on her waist and our foreheads were pressed together. A reason why I was so glad to see her approaching in the first place, besides the fact that she was saving me from clingy Tiffany and her obnoxious hair twirling. A reason why I felt like I could've just burst with fondness for her when she stood by my side, claiming that she in fact was 'Trev's girlfriend'. A reason why all I wanted to do was scoop her up and twirl her around and carry her away from the vicious stares of the girls the blonde had been with. A reason why I felt my palms sweating and my throat closing up as we walked back to our friends, hand in hand, a few confused stares falling upon us and a reason why the moment she was safely back there I excused myself to come straight into this washroom and do exactly this: hunt for reasons. Surprisingly, when taking into consideration how busy the club was, the men's washroom was empty upon my arrival. I was glad it was because much like the normal of my life these days I needed a place to think for myself. I wasn't entirely sure why I always resorted back to using this method of alone time or thinking it through by myself because so far it hadn't done me any favours whatsoever. There was no clarity or relief through doing so to date, but when there was so much to think about, what else was there to do but think?

As I grabbed a paper towel from the dispenser, I was aware of footsteps behind me coming into the bathroom. I allowed myself a single glance in the mirror to see who was there and immediately wished I hadn't. Lamar slowed down when he saw me there, sticking his hands in his pockets and coming to the sink beside mine, looking in the mirror at himself for merely a second. I decided to get my point in before he could hit me with his.

"Before you say anything, she was just helping me out," I said, my back still to him. I noticed a flicker of amusement in his expression for a second before it fell away and he leaned against the sink across the room.

"Huh?"

I copied him, leaning against the sink I had been using and taking a deep breath. "Brittany. You know, the whole, holding her hand...thing."

"How'd you know that was what I was gonna ask you about?" Lamar chuckled.

"Well someone was bound to," I grumbled, "I figured you guys flipped a coin and you were the lucky one."

"You guys?" Lamar repeated, still seemingly amused by this whole thing.

"Oh you and Victoria!" I said, frustrated. "You won, right? You get to ask me first and then later when I've already heard from you the way I supposedly feel she gets to swoop in and say it all again!"

I hadn't quite realised how heated I had become when saying this. Not until I was finished and felt the way I was clenching my fists. Despite my sudden outburst, Lamar just looked back at me with that irritatingly calm expression. He allowed a moment of silence to fall between us before he cleared his throat.

"She's trying to help you," he told me calmly.

"Oh sure she is," I said sarcastically before turning back around.

"You know she is Trev. It makes no difference to her whether you and Britt are together or not, or whether you have feelings for Britt or not," he said.