Just the Same

BRITTANY

I put my phone down on the wooden table top as the message I had sent to some of the cast from last night's party was delivered to each of their phones. I smiled to myself as I re-read what I had sent before locking my phone as Victoria came back with two coffees in her hands.

"Thank you," I said as I took the steaming white mug from her hand and she took a seat across from me. She smiled as she placed her own mug down, tucking her chair in.

"That's one thing I've missed," I said, laughing slightly, "proper Canadian coffee."

"Really?!" Victoria exclaimed. "I thought Australian coffee was supposed to be good?"

"It is," I admitted, "don't get me wrong. But this is the things I miss on a day-to-day basis when I'm out there. Stupid things like the taste of our coffee and the candy bars we have."

"Ooh yeah," Victoria nodded, "candy is a big one."

We both giggled together and stirred the milk into our coffees as our laughter died away, until all that could be heard was everybody else talking in the café and the slight scratching of the coffee stirrers on the inside of our mugs. We both lifted our coffees and simultaneously took a sip before placing them back down and smiling at each other.

"It's so nice to have you back," Vic said warmly as she touched my arm across the table.

"Okay, that is the twentieth time you've said that since I've come home," I told her and she giggled with me, "but it's nice to be back too."

"It's been so weird, not having you around," Victoria sighed. "Even for the little things."

"Like what?" I asked.

"New episodes of TV series we used to watch together coming out," she gave as an example. "Or Starbucks getting a new coffee that we would definitely have tried together if you were home."

Victoria was right. These were stupid, insignificant things that we would never have thought about when I was at home. Now that I was gone and missing them, however, they seemed so important.

"Yeah, I kind of missed you for those little things too," I admitted sheepishly.

Things fell kind of quiet then and the mood had dipped significantly. I had imagined coming home to be like a constant happy, exciting and laughing-fest. However, now all I was thinking about was that I only had a few days before I had to hop on a plane and fly all the way back to Sydney for another eternity. I shook off that daunting thought.

"Hey!" I said, lightly smacking the top of the table. "This is no time to get all sentimental and soppy. We have no time! We only have a few hours before you have got your family dinner to go to and I need to be caught up on whatever the hell has been happening since I left!"

Victoria laughed with me, breaking out of her momentary sadness and flipping her hair over her shoulder.

"You're right," she smiled, "it's time to get down to business."

I sat up then, relieved that this was it; I was finally getting some answers. I linked my hands on top of the table next to my coffee and looked across to Vic expectantly. However, she was just staring back at me.

"Well?" I prodded.

"What?"

"Go on!" I encouraged her. "You're the one with all of the explaining to do."