Placing Blame

TREVOR

The hip hop class at the UDC had perhaps not been the most inventive idea of what to do with Brittany being home, but she had agreed pretty quickly into coming along and it ended up being really fun. The battles had called upon Britt to go up against some guy who had thought he was being smart picking on one of the only girls in the whole class. As anyone who knew Brittany could imagine, she had put him in his place. I had battled a little myself too, as had Lamar, before the class was let out and the three of us were walking back out to our cars again. I was walking in the middle of Brittany and Lamar, all of us with our bags over our shoulders and sweaters in hand. I had a towel resting around my neck following an extremely sweaty dance class workout and could feel my muscles aching as I was walking back to my car.

"Jeez man, I almost forgot how good you were," Lamar joked with Brittany and the three of us laughed.

"Well thanks," said Brittany sarcastically as she giggled. "But I know what you mean to be honest. I almost forgot too."

"Really? Aren't you dancing all the time over there?" I asked her.

"In a way all I've really been doing is admin stuff for a while," she replied. "You know, setting up my accounts and sorting out my apartment and insurance and all the really boring stuff."

"Yeah I guess that's the stuff you don't think about," Lamar agreed.

"But the minute I go back, my boss has warned me that I'll pretty much be swamped with choreography to get done," she sighed but I could hear the excitement in her voice. "The auditions are going on right now."

"Oh sweet. So you'll have the contestants when you go back?"

"Yeah," she smiled, "I'm stoked."

"That sounds so awesome," Lamar replied dreamily, "this job literally sounds like my dream."

"Shame I got it huh buddy?" Brittany joked smugly and the three of us laughed again.

Lamar and I got to my car and he split off around to the other side, opening the back door and throwing his bag inside. I did the same at my side of the car, Brittany stopping behind me.

"Well, thanks guys!" she said genuinely, crossing her arms. "I had fun!"

"Yeah it was pretty sweet," I agreed with her, unwrapping my towel and tossing it into the top of my bag. I leaned against the car to look at Britt. "So, what's your plans for the next couple of days?"

"Pretty standard stuff," she shrugged. "I obviously have to put in some time with the family and catch up with everything happening there. Maybe see some of my high school friends and stuff."

"Sure," I nodded. I was really hoping Brittany would go on to say that she was free at another time in the week before she left for us to see her again. However she didn't mention it herself. Luckily Lamar did before I had to.

"So are we gonna see you again?" he asked hopefully. I looked over my shoulder at him. He had opened the door at his side of the car and was now standing inside of it, leaning on top of the roof.

"Umm," Brittany thought, "I guess I'm free the night before I have to fly back. You know if everyone is free we could definitely hang out some place."

"Yeah, I'd be down for that," I nodded at her.

"Me too," said Lamar.

"Awesome," she smiled sweetly, "I'll...uh...let everybody know and then tell you if I come up with a place."

"For sure," I nodded, kicking the door to the back of the car closed, "we'll be around."

"Then I guess I'll see you soon, right?" Brittany asked as she began to back away. Despite the fact that she was talking to both of us, I couldn't help but notice how intently Brittany was looking at me. And how she asked if she would see us again, almost hopefully, as though she was making me promise I would.