Trapped

It was early morning when we woke. I brushed Selena's blonde hair away from her face. She gave me a sleepy grin which I returned heartily. She pushed up onto her elbows, staring at me with those teal eyes. I kissed her sweetly.

"I'm going for a shower." Selena exclaimed breathless.

I watched her form walk to the adjacent bathroom. Selena made me feel exuberant and I thanked her for that. We'd both found love in the darkest of times. Steeling myself, I got up and joined her. Which led to us both panting as we dissolved into each other once more.

    I sat across from Selena munching on my marmite toast.

   "You're lucky I like marmite, mister." She mumbled as she sipped her tea.

     I inhaled a crumb and coughed sporadically. Selena let out a burst of laughter. 

    "Please don't spray me with tea, sweetie." I slowed my intake of toast.

    Meanwhile Rhys was looking solemn in the corner. Elinor had not vanished into the depths of death. Instead she remained almost alive as she lay on the dining table.

    "Remember Harriet, Rhys? Jasper found a way to bring her back. Just like you'll do. There is still hope." Selena exclaimed.

    Rhys only grunted in answer. I guessed he now hated us since we were practically shoving our happiness in his face. I finished my breakfast taking hers and mine to the sink. 

    "Can I get you anything, coffee, toast?" Selena asked.

     Since becoming mortal a day ago, Rhys had not let a morsel enter his body. I think food sort of rejected him because he'd been undead for so long. 

   "No thank you." Rhys glared at Selena who backed off.

      Just then a brisk wind blew through the kitchen. A cloaked figure appeared, standing by the fridge. They flicked off the hood, revealing a scarred face. His icy blue eyes took in the scene.

    "Stop looking so miserable, Rhys Burnes. I know a way to bring your beloved back. You're too dumb to figure it out." He sighed.

    "Who are you?" I asked.

       "I am known simply as the Warlock. Others called me the beginning and the end. You may call me Rufus. I like that name." He grinned.

     Was this guy nuts or was he simply acting that way? It didn't matter since I liked him straight away.

    "Go collect Elinor, Rhys. We leave soon." Rufus said.

      We watched as Rhys vanished into the dining room. He returned, cradling Elinor against his chest. There was a humming noise and the kitchen melted away. I slammed onto my hands and knees in a garden. The heady scent of roses filled my senses as was the scent of magic. It tasted metallic on my tongue. Seconds later Selena landed on top of me. It was only Rhys who landed in a crouch,

  "He's done that before." I groaned.

    "Me too but I never got used to the landing." Selena helped me up.

     Rufus draped his cloak over a hook in the wall. He clapped his hands, silencing the birds in the room.

   "Now we are back to where it all started. I thought it would oddly symbolic." He smiled.

       "It?" The three of all echoed.

       Rufus only chuckled and summoned a raised dais in the middle of the room. Rhys obediently laid Elinor on it.

    "I'll need a soul. I only work with souls because they are the purest. Harriet Muffet's soul was going to be the one the break this curse. But, things changed. Rhys needs his and Selena's is waiting for her." Rufus's gaze latched onto me.

    "I was never suppose to be here. I should of never woken her, she got me into this mess." I choked out.

    Rufus tilted his head confused. Good, he should be. My hand latched onto Selenas and I found out I was trembling. I did not want to die. No should die this young, it wasn't fair. It just wasn't.

    "But it is your ending to your story, Mason James." Rufus's face morphed into Mr. Thomas.

    "What the hell!?"

   "There was never a man named Mr. Thomas. It was an illusion. Everything you did was a set path from the beginning. You are trapped on this path with Miss Hett." He said simply.