Breaking the Curse?

Rhys' POV,

    "Remember Harriet, Rhys. Jasper was an idiot but he managed to wake her just in time. One single kiss." Rufus announced.

    My eyes flicked to Selena and Mason. Mason had his arms wrapped around Selena. They looked so happy and yet I must be the one to destroy their happiness. Would it hurt when he died or would it be over quickly? I inhaled sharply and shook my head. Why must the breaking of a single, stupid curse hurt someone else? I cleared my head and walked steadily over to Elinor. I curled an arm around her waist and I cupped the back of her neck. My lips brushed hers. At first there was nothing and then there was an intake of breath. My heart thudded as I gazed into her green and lilac stained eyes. I heard a thump and then shrieking. Rufus smiled sadly and vanished,

    "No! You bastard!" I cried out.

   Elinor looked confused and then her eyes strayed to Mason's limp form on the cobblestone. Her hands covered her mouth as tears streamed down her face.

   "I'm sorry. It was the only way." I felt uncomfortable.

     "He was my friend."

  Selena's POV,

     "Mason!" I yelped.

   I dropped to my knees, pulling his head onto my lap. It happened so quickly, Mason had grabbed his chest once Elinor had woken. He fell...He now stares at me with such vacant eyes. His body lays empty and cold. Tear dripped into his hair.

    "Why?!"

      I repeated the word until they were meaningless and I was hoarse. There was a harsh breeze and Rhys and Elinor had gone. The warlock had sent them back. I had a thought, it was sudden but I hoped it worked.

   "Warlock!"

    He appeared with a flurry of his tattered cloak.

    "You've figured it out, Miss Hett? How to save him and to remain with him until time?"

    I swallowed and nodded sharply.

        "Take it. Take my immortality. I don't want it."

          I'd seen too many empires rise and fall. People I love age and die in front of me. No more. I had no need of it once I found Mason.

     "Indeed. Mason James' timeline will never exist now. He'll become a Gatekeeper in the Soul Chamber with you. Is that acceptable?"

   "Yes." To me that word was the finale.

    "Good."

   The warlock snapped his fingers and I felt limp. I watched as my fingers melted away as did the room. I heard the warlocks voice in my head,

    "You shall remain with your lover until another person loses the one they love."

    Whoomp! Mason and I land in a patch of white grass. He's on his back but he's breathing steadily. I tackle him causing him to yelp. Strangely his strip of white hair makes him seem like he's a part of this place already.

    "I...I...What the hell happened, Selena?" He sat up, rubbing his head.

      I twisted a piece of my hair. I took in a breath and rushed out the words.

   "I gave up my immortality to save you. We are now the guardians of the Soul Chamber. There has never been two before though."

     I was about to say more when Mason kissed me. We fell back on the grass our limbs entangled. I would break it to him that his memory no longer existed on the mortal plain eventually. But for now we were happy.