An Ending?

Rhys' POV,

   I look at Elinor who seems confused for a moment but then her face brightened into a smile. We had arrived on the doorstep of the mansion. I felt like there was a piece of something missing but I could not a put a finger on it.

    "How do you feel?"

   "Simply exuberant, Rhys."

      She stepped forward into the garden, staring in wonder at the sun on her skin. I followed her, happy and content. She twirled and stopped in front of me.

   "Well that's..."

   Elinor had stopped me suddenly with a finger to my lips.

    "Do you hear that?" She whispered.

    I heard nothing but the wind rushing by and the splatter of the fountain behind us.

   "What is it?" I asked, curious.

      "Birds." She sighed, a small smile on her face.

  I laughed quietly and pulled her into the circle of my arms. All around us, the sound was broken as hundreds of birds began to sing the dawn chorus. It was a thrilling melody.

    "So..."

   "Hmm?" She queried.

        "I awoke you. I think that entitles us to..."

       I was cut off as Elinor stood on her tiptoes to kiss me silent.

      "A happy ending? Yes, I think it does."

       I picked her up and stood her on the rim of the fountain. I then kissed her senseless as the sun shone brightly around us. Once undead to no more. Now we were allowed to grow old with the elements on our skin once more.

One Hundred Years Later in the Soul Chamber,

"Another soul down. I think we are done for the day." Mason announced.

   Selena placed the empty, ornate jar back onto its dust circle on the shelf. Thousand like it lined the shelves. She dusted off her hands on the emerald cocktail dress she was wearing. She gave a warm smile to Mason who returned it, happily.

    "Tea or something else?" She replied, cheekily.

"Not where there is anything breakable, darling." Mason winks.

Selena's eyes darkened at the memory and she giggles.

  "We never got that grandfather clock fixed, did we?

   "No. That was about twenty years ago, wasn't it?"

Selena nods. She then beckons Mason to follow her. He obliges and catches her hand. Selena leads him to a garden filled with grey, black and white flowers. The twittering of decease birds fill their ears as does the scent of roses.

     "It's lovely, isn't it? I found it the other year and meant to tell you about it." Selena announced.

           "Yes. Shame time is passes so fleetingly here. It's like years are minutes and decades are hours."

   "That was oddly poetic, Mason."

   "I try to be, Selena."

       He lays Selena on the grass and lies beside her. Selena rests her head on his shoulder, completely content. Soon they would be lost in each other until another lost soul passes through this place. For now, let's leave them be. After all, they got their happy ending. One pair remains alive and then the other is dead but happy. It's rather odd that way, isn't it? But this is how, this story got told. And maybe, in someways it's quite true. What do you all think?