Let The Music Move You

I woke late the next morning with a dry mouth. I stretched, yawning, wincing as my cheek fells bruised. I get up and dress before heading downstairs. Elinor mumbled something to me about food last night as I entered my room. It seemed Melody bought food so I would not starve. I quietly thanked her for thoughtfulness. I strode into the top of the line kitchen which was probably only used for guests. I filled the kettle up and put it on. I nearly gagged when I saw the contains of the fridge. Blood in glass bottles filled the shelves and a single pint of milk sat next to them. I grabbed it and shut the fridge hurriedly. I searched the cupboards and drawers for a bowl and spoon. The only cereal Melody had bought was Cheerios. I emptied some into a bowl before I made my coffee.

      I had only taken a couple of bites when I heard a scream come from upstairs. The sound was shrill and could almost shatter glass. Of course being the idiot I was, I had to go investigate. The sight shocked me to my core before I burst out laughing. Elinor was fuming as she tried to yank down the too short skirt of the ink black dress she was wearing. Melody was also there, quietly smiling to herself. I entered the pink and yellow room that reminded me of rhubarb and custard sweets. Elinor glared at me as I sat on the edge of the bed. She straightened her form and my eyes took in her slight form, she had no breasts to speak of as the dress kind of hung off her. Black was definitely not her color.

    "Isn't there anything better?" She growled at Melody.

         "Hmm. I'll see what I can do, you need to blend in tonight at the club. I have word that he'll be there." Melody mused, her finger poised on her full lips.

     "Club?" I asked.

    "Yes. It's a place where mortals and vampires hang out as you young people say. You'll be going too, Mr James."

     Well, that was alright. Anything to get out of this stuffy place. I watched as Melody left the room, vanishing down the hall in silence. Elinor huffed and went to the bathroom to change. I stayed put, wanting to talk to her. A moment later, she emerged wearing jeans and a loose tee. The curtains were closed over the barred windows making the room dim.

       "Elinor?" I questioned.

    "Yes,  Mason?" She replied, plonking down next to me.

         "The story of Snow White ends with the prince kissing her awake and then Snow White marries him. I did the same to you. Do you feel anything?" I questioned.

    Oh, jeez, that was hard to word but I needed to be said.

       "No, don't be silly. Who falls in love after one kiss? That's a stupid fairy tale and it's not true. If anything, you're my friend Mason. I can't thank you enough for what you did."

     Phew. I thought she'd be moony over me. I wasn't falling for her.      

 "But that doesn't mean you can flirt with anyone else. I'll have to meet them first, ok?" She smiled quite grimly.

    I let out a nervous giggle. Melody appeared saving me from the wrath of Elinor. In her arms she held a plum colored dress. 

     "Out, Mr James." Melody instructed me.

     I did as I was told. I thought I might explore the house, to kill the time until tonight. I meandered around the first floor, finding a very dusty library. There was a door that was padlocked on the far wall from which I could hear screams emanating from inside. Ah, so that's where they locked Joan up. I decided not to go near it at all. I plucked an unmarked book from the shelf and sat on the musty sofa to read it. The book I had chosen was an old edition of grimms fairy tales, curious I flicked to Snow White. I was mildly shocked when the pages were spattered in blood and across one of the pages was etched "Not true in the slightest". I could tell it was Elinors doing. I sighed and leant back against the cushion. I closed my eyes and the book slid from my grip.

    I began to dream. I was roaming the halls of a black and white world. I kept seeing glimpses of a lavender train of a dress. A woman laughed, inviting me to chase her, funny I could of sworn I had heard the laugh before. I could never quite catch up to the woman.

   Then I was shook violently awake,

     "Come on, it's time to get ready." Elinor sighed.

       I obliged and went upstairs to change. On the bed was a black shirt, jeans and a leather jacket. Huh, no doubt this was Melodys doing. I smiled, guess I and her were not going as ourselves tonight. I changed and slid the butter soft jacket on top. I slipped on my black converse and headed downstairs. Elinor was leaning against the wall next to the front door. She was frowning as she tugged on the four inch white pumps. Then she straightened, I just stood there, taking in her outfit. A plum colored dress hugged her upper body and then flared out to her knees. The color was perfect on her, giving her skin life while her heart had ceased to beat. She wore little make up, just some mascara and scarlet lipstick.

    "Close your mouth, you're not a dog." She snapped.

       I shut it and swallowed heavily. At least she looked nice but her temper was still the same. Some things never changed.

    "Shall we?" I offered her my arm.

      She refused my offer and strode out into the night. I started for the rover but Elinor dragged me over to a BMW that was parked instead. She tossed me the keys and I unlocked it. She got in and I slid into the drivers seat. Once I started the engine, the gps clicked on, directing us to the Morte Club. As soon as we got there, a pumping beat could be heard all the way outside. I parked on the street and exited the car, going round to let Elinor out. She smiled graciously, letting me guide her inside. The music was a loud, classical remix, it barely let me think. There was a distinct scent of blood in the air. On the dance floor, it was packed with people who didn't care whether there was any space between them. Elinor tugged my sleeve as she looked longingly at the people dancing.

   "I wish to try that." She whispered.

    "You've never danced?" My eyebrows raised.

   She shook her head. I handed my jacket to a worker who quickly whisked it away to a cloak room. I took her hand and led her down the steps just as another song started. 

    "I never had the chance. My stepmother was strict, she never let me meet new people." 

     "Oh."

   I stood her in font of me and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her in close. She let out a small gasp of suprise but I said nothing. Then I bought her arms around my neck.

   "See. It's easy." I murmured.

      I saw the briefest of smiles from her. Then we were interrupted. I let go of Elinor to look at the person. His skin was the color of night and his eyes were odd, one was glacial blue and the other was scarlet. He looked at Elinor and a mixture of shock and suprise was etched on his face before he relaxed his face.

    "Do you mind?" He asked, gesturing to Elinor.

    "Not at all." I replied.

    Elinor looked puzzled as she was led away from me by the man. Was this the mystery man know as Rhys?