The masquerade

⠀"Suck it in, Princess Adorna!" A woman's voice ordered, a large release of breath coming soon after. "My god-! Miss Matthew, does this really have to be so tight?" The woman asked, earning a laugh from the older of the two. "Oh, to impress the men, why of course!" She said in a chipper tone, earning a grimace from the princess. "I wouldn't want a man who would look at me just as an object," Adorna muttered to the older.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Miss Matthew, was an older woman of the age sixty five. A woman Adorna had grown up seeing as a grandmother figure. The older woman's hair was graying furiously, leaving no trace of the chestnut brown hair Adorna had grown used to seeing. Her nimble fingers pushed a lock of gunmetal hair, her eyes drawn in concentration. Her wrinkling eyes were not as a bright of a brown, as age was taking its toll on her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Adorna's mind kept traveling back to the night before, spending her last moment with Maven. The thought made her sad, sadder than she wanted to be. He broke what was left of her heart, and she was left looking like the fool.

The assassin tore her eyes away from the older woman. "Besides, I'm not there to meet men." Adorna replied softly, earning a soft chuckle in reply. "Oh, my dear Adorna.." the woman sighed, making the young woman turn her body to face the other. Cool hands cupped Adorna's cheeks, the aging woman gazing up at Adorna. Wetting her lips, the woman began to speak, "Princess Adorna, it is time for you to put away your knives and began looking. You are only getting older," she said, Adorna's face a slate of blankness.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
"I shall never relinquish my sword for a ring"

⠀—⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀—⠀

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀The cool feel of metal strapped against Adorna's thigh made a comforting feel wash over her. Her trusty daggers laid stuck to her thighs, underneath the thick satin of her dress. Her foot steps against the marble were perfect in tune, keeping her in step as she walked. Her dress was long, trailing the floor and collecting it's dirt as she walked. The satin material was a pearly white, clashing rather nicely with her warm honey skin and blonde hair.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The bodice and corset both were squeezing her to a miserable state, the evidence clear on her drawn in face. Oh how this was punishment, the damn man she called her brother was a troll. The thought of her brother Tate in a troll form brought a delicate smile to her face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
She pulled her attention from that thought, tucking it in the back of her mind to keep track of in a later time. Her mind began to skim her brain, unloading the information of her target. A young man, the one hosting the party. He was under arrest for having illegal substances in his possession. Normally, this was usual. The nobles bought things from the black market, and later were caught for it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Adorna gently ran her fingers across the mask perched on her face. It tickled her nose, though she was happy to have the one she had. Gazing of the other guests, some had masks that formed into a long birds beak, some with hideous flowers and feathers, and some even covering their entire face. The mask must pledge and show your wealth; Adorna couldn't imagine why anyone else would want to wear a mask like the ones they were.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Adorna began to ascend through the crowd, earning quick and long gazes in return. She dressed to show her wealth, but not all of it. She blended in nicely, though nonetheless, her dress was extravagant. Miss Matthew wouldn't let her leave the castle without it being.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Adorna was suddenly stopped by a plump older gentleman, a few inches shorter than Adorna herself.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
"May I have this dance?" The gentleman asked, opening his mouth to show yellowing and chipped teeth. With a simple nod, Adorna was swept away by the man. Although he asked for a simple dance, Adorna felt her irritation growing heavily.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The dance wasn't short enough, Adorna found herself flushed by the end. The man was a stumbling fool, obviously having no experience what so ever in the subject of ballroom dancing. He droned on and on about his farm, and even Adorna's own brother was brought up. Although, the man knew nothing of Adorna's origin. She felt no need to but in, for he only spoke graciously about King Castillo. Although the dance was a drag, Adorna found herself blooming with pride.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
As they were parting ways, Adorna turned and came face to face with her target.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
"May I have this dance?"