Illegal Substances

The feel of warmth enveloped her body first, the smell of food bringing her to her senses. Her belly ached, a soft and muffled groan leaving her lips.

Her back ached, and she felt broken. Each time she even thought of moving, her back would send a blistering pain up the rest of her back. It was like a flower blossoming, starting at the base of her back and crawling open all the way to her neck. Her throat was overly parched, her fingers lifting to the skin at her throat as she opened her eyes.

Her blue gaze trailed around the room she was in, her steady breaths increasing. She wanted to scream and cry, mostly out of frustration. Why was she here? She had failed, so easily. Now she was stuck here, and god knows what her target was going to do to her.

The thought of the worse: torture, r'pe, and the worst, ransom. If she was held for ransom, Erwin wouldn't get it. Tate would see her as a total fuck up, and there goes the rest of her life. Betrayed by her brother, betrayed by the king..

"All hail the king my ass"
She thought to herself, a light and dimpled smile coming to her features.

The cracking open of a door alerted Adorna, her eyes instantly shutting and her breathing going steady. A shuffle of feet made it's way, till it stopped right in front of her.

A woman's humming came from right beside Adorna's beside. It was melodic, and sweet sounding. Something Adorna hadn't heard in years, and she almost took comfort in it.

Bony hands took ahold of Adorna's wrist, the woman's humming terminating. Adorna's heart picked up, her chest beating rapidly. Cursing herself, she willed herself to calm down. The woman's smooth fingers trailed over Adorna's wrist, till finally she set Adorna's wrist back on the silky covers.

"I know you're awake, dearie. Open your eyes," the woman ordered, her voice soft and soothing. Adorna wanted to, to see who was taking such care of her (she guessed), but all the same she was trained to not. To lay still, and play dead at all costs.

"I won't hurt you, the worst part is over now." The woman said, Adorna betraying herself and opening her blue orbs. She turned her head, gazing at the old woman sitting beside her bedside.

She reminded Adorna of Miss Mathews, actually. With pure silver hair, and a round face wrinkled with age. Her eyes twinkled a warm brown, almost a chestnut color. Truthfully, the woman made Adorna feel safe and secured. That's the kind of things you had to watch over, they were the most dangerous.

"I'm sure you're thirsty," the woman murmured, reaching to the bedside table and picking up a small pitcher. Adorna watched hungrily, and it made the wrinkled in time woman chuckle.
"Lean back.."

Once Adorna drank nearly the entire small pitcher of water, she watched the woman carefully.
"Why am I here?" She croaked, her voice catching her slightly of guard. It was cracky, and hoarse. She wasn't sure how long she had been stuck here, but she guessed a while.

She continued on, though, "This can't be heaven, I hurt too much." She whispered, earning a soft and melodic laugh from the older woman.

"No no, not heaven. Though, some say Mr. Greene's mansion is just like it." The woman said, Adorna instantly gazing at her with a gentle glare.
"He pushed me off the balcony," She said, fury igniting her voice.

"That he did, yes," The woman sighed, continuing, "The man always had a temper."

Adorna turned her attention away, her gaze squinting as she gazed at a window, letting in rays of bright light.

"It's been a week," the woman said, beginning to shuffle again. Adorna kept her gaze transfixed on the window and the outside world, wishing to be free. Although this place was nice, it was a prison all the same.

A sudden pain kept to Adorna's wrist, making her flinch. The sudden movement caused her to hiss in pain. She quickly gazed to her wrist, where a syringe was sticking from.
"You have to take these meds," the woman said, Adorna reaching over and pulling it from her skin.

Wincing, she gazed it over. "Did you just put illegal substances into me?" She asked in shock, the woman smiling. "Adorna, you will get better quicker."

"They're outlawed for a reason, lady, and don't call me Adorna."

"They're outlawed because the king is too stuck in his ways to change. The sick could be healed, the poor could no longer be dying, yet he does nothing to fix it!"
The woman yelled, her voice simply loud and angry. She seemed to be passionate on the subject.

The whole thing shocked Adorna, her back twisting in new pain. "A-ah, is it supposed to burn?" Adorna asked, fresh tears billowing at her lashes.

"You'll be knocked out, soon enough." The woman reassured, gazing at Adorna with a sudden harshness. Gazing at her with a blurred gaze, Adorna whimpered. The pain was unbearable almost, a twisting, angry storm in her lower back.

The woman stood, snatching the syringe back and setting it on a silver tray.
"No matter, soon enough the rebels will take over the kingdom." The woman said, gazing at Adorna with a no longer warm gaze. Everything about the woman was steel, and Adorna felt herself shivering.

"Soon, the rebels will burn your brother at the stakes like he did to so many of us."

_ _ _ _ _

Thanks so much to everyone reading and voting!! It means so much to me! Seriously!
Please leave me your thoughts, and don't forget to vote!