Welcome to the family

Biggggg dedication to the amazing @cupofno for doing my cover!! Look how great it is?? Thanks so much!
Make sure to check them out guys!
Little note, this book is ending very soon... anyone else bummed? Just me? Okay.

Enjoy!

"Goodbye." Adorna said evenly, arms crossed over her chest as she watched Katherine. Finally, the woman was leaving. It had been a long two days with her. Well, to Adorna.

"Hmm." She returned, the woman's eyes following her sharply and with disinterest. The woman turned to Erwin, as he walked into the foyer with Yvonne at his side.

"Safe travels." He said, Katherine sauntering over and cupping him by the cheeks. Leaning fully in, she pressed her lips to Erwin's surprised ones.

Adorna looked away, cheeks flushed with light anger. This damn woman was just teasing her, and it was rather irritating.

"Write me," she said, looking to Yvonne for a moment. Without anything to say, Katherine nodded to the stable boy waiting by the door. "Show me to my horse." She said in a bored tone, following him out of the home.

"Thank the gods the witch is gone." Yvonne said, Erwin looking to her with a soft grin.

"Yes, thank the gods."

Adorna walked side by side with Yvonne, holding her hand and listening to her babble. Adorna was finally granted to leave the home, obviously having earned the trust of Erwin. If, and only if, Adorna had Yvonne at her side.

A very small price to pay with the gift of freedom.. sort of.
She was dressed in a woman's trousers and a shirt, also not having to wear damn dresses any longer. Yvonne was wearing something much like Adorna, like her new role model of course.

"So, did you kiss him yet?" The spunky kid asked Adorna, Adorna stopping in the middle of the wooded path. Letting out a laugh, she bent down to Yvonne's height.

"No, but.. we almost did." Adorna smiled to the little girl, earning a fit of giggles. "Almost doesn't count!" She bellowed, Adorna winking and standing.

The two walked along the path, Adorna watching their surroundings closely. Since the attack of the two men from before, she didn't trust these woods. They were silent today, the only sounds coming from the shiver and shakes from the trees.

The occasional rabbit would run ahead, causing Yvonne to bolt ahead and try to catch it. The rabbit never appeared between the young girls hands, and she never squealed in delight.

The sound of hooves stopped Adorna short, her gaze shooting to the dirt road on the left. It went on forever, the path of the woods just on the side of it. Grabbing Yvonne, Adorna quickly hid them behind a fallen tree.

Two royal knights stopped in the middle of the road, their voices ringing out, "We caught the female rebel, Erwin Greene has to be close." One said, a plump man. Adorna felt pity for the poor mare supporting him. She was surprised to hear Katherine had been caught.
Adorna's stomach churned at the sudden thought, 'They were going to attack the home to save her, and kill Erwin.'

"I scouted Erwin's home, seemed unarmed. Stupid rebel." The one laughed.

Setting her palm on Yvonne's mouth, who was surprisingly silent, Adorna poked her head out and scanned the two men.