Ava

Ava

It was almost evening time when I reached home from work. I had to stay because we had a few staff meetings that day about some changes to the curriculum. As I walked up my driveway I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was being watched. I kept turning my head to glance behind me every few seconds. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice say "Ava." I turn immediately to see Brian. He was standing under a street lamp and was wearing a dark hoodie and some dark jeans. He looked exactly like a psychopath from a slasher film at that moment. He took a step towards me and I instantly backed away.

" What are you doing here Brian?" I hissed. He sensed that he must have scared me so he brought up his hands and said, " I come in peace, I just want to talk to you."

" About what?" I say stupidly.

" Ava I think you know, I want to talk to Casey."

"No."

" Ava it's been five years, five long ass years."

" He doesn't have to see you and you do not deserve him."

The minute I said that Brian takes another step closer but I hold my ground. I stared at his eyes that were hooded by the hood of the jacket he was wearing, they looked frustrated.

" Ava, you cant keep doing this to me do you know what I have been through these five years, haven't I suffered enough?"

" What about me?"

" What?"

"What about me Brian? I didn't ask for any of this to happen. In fact this was the last thing that I wanted to happen to me or to Casey."

" Ava..."

" You were selfish and you still are."

" Ava, stop."

" No. I won't stop. I was quiet before, I saw the signs but I didn't question you, I tried to be your wife I really did, but the truth was that I was never good enough for you."

I then turned and ran up to my house ignoring his calls. Suddenly I heard footsteps behind me and I figured that he was following so I quickened my pace and got to the door as fast as I could, but just as I was about to close it in his face he firmly held on to the knob and glared at me. I gasped as he pulled the door wider and stepped closer to me; we were almost inches from each other.

" You can't keep me away from my son. You think I'm selfish? Well yes I'm selfish but God I love my son and guess what I still care about you, I never stopped and I don't think I will."

Then he stalked off leaving me standing at the entrance of my house with my mouth open, completely shocked.