Will

Will

Los Angeles had changed a great deal; everywhere I went I could feel a slight hint of terror. People behaved in a strange way as well, they even walked in a hurry not meeting anybody's gaze. I somehow felt unsafe in my own home. Things were worse in New York though with all the theft and shooting going on. It wasn't unusual to watch the news and hear about shootings. My best friend Wally would know about shootings he came from a rough background. Wally came from a bad home, because his father was into drug dealing and his family had to move lot. However LA was where they stayed for quite a while, because Wally's mother Sandra wanted him to get his GED. I still remember when Wally first stepped into our High School. He had a huge Afro and he wore baggy jeans that were two sizes too big and an oversized sweatshirt. Dude was a walking pity case. Everyone took notice and they gave him an extremely hard time because of that. Especially the guys in my class. But there was something about Wally that made him stand out to me I mean besides being exceptionally good at basketball and also being very tall he had a really good heart and he was funny. We first met at the back of the school, where I usually went to hide from the bitches in my class. I'd sit against the wall and listen to my music or practice my photography skills. I caught him drinking once from a small whisky bottle but he bolted before I could say another word and the second time I saw him smoking in the green house. On the third meeting I was listening to music while sitting against the wall when he came and sat next to me and I didn't even get up to walk away. There we sat not saying anything, we just sat, me with my earphones and him with his booze. I finally cut the silence turned to him and said "Hey" and he, I guess being drunk or something turned to me gave a lopsided smile and slurred "Wuzz Up" so that was kind of how it all started. Our Friendship. One of the best moments of us together was when Ray the school bully and his band of trolls started harassing me when they saw me at the back of the school and Wally came to my rescue, he was late that day and the moment he saw Ray holding me by the shirt he ran and pushed him of me and started yelling at Ray for being a huge dick, and Ray said something horrible about me and he punched him right in the face, then he grabbed my hand and we bolted out of the school before he got to us. We had the best day that day and we didn't return home until night and I got into so much trouble but it was worth it, I had never broken the rules before but with Wally it was just so worth it. After that we met all the time during recess, it became our routine and it was awesome because he had a great sense of humor and he was really smart, street-smart and I used to tell him all the time that he could actually get really good grades and turn his life around. He was altogether a good thing that happened to me and also a breathe of fresh air from my dysfunctional family. Thinking about Wally brought back really good memories and it got me wondering if they still lived in our town. I still remembered where they lived because I had been to his house a couple of times when his Father wasn't home. His mom was a hot mom for her age. She also told me to call her Sandra and always took good care of me so much so that I wished she were my mom when I was in high school. Everything was going really well when suddenly in the beginning of our senior year Wally stopped being a friend, he grew more reserved and we drifted apart. For a long time it was difficult not having my friend around and it was also really lonely especially when Mom started having violent episodes. I tried talking to him but he always avoided my gaze, the next thing I realised was that his grades started improving and at the end of the year he got accepted into NYU while I went to UCLA. Then when I graduated, I moved to New York as fast as I could. I did try to look Wally up but I couldn't find him there.

Choice of song: Good Morning- Kanye West