Chapter 17 The Next Step

"Your woman?" Coult asked with a smirk on his face. He watched as Danny's body and mind went through a fight. His insecurities at finally laying claim to a woman, and his physical need to mark her as his.

His body won.

"Yeah, my woman," Danny said, puffing out his chest. "And if I find out that any of you sonsofbitches try and get with her-"

"Don't worry," laughed Jon, the bartender. "I heard from T.J. Bodie that you were threatening him."

Danny smirked while Emma scowled at him. Coult laughed to himself and turned to face Flannery. Her dark hair was messy and fell to her shoulders. He wanted nothing more than to bury his face in her neck and soak up her smell. She was so beautiful and so perfect. He wanted her so badly.

He felt his heart break for her and her situation with her parents. He felt anger surge through his body at the thought of the phone she received earlier. There was no way he was going to let her leave, even if he had to tie her to the bed rails.

Flannery continued to become acquainted with Emma when the band began to play. Coult let her talk through the first few songs when he finally decided he had to have her in his arms.

"Come on, kitten," he said pulling her away from Emma, who just laughed and winked.

"Where are we going?" she asked, her eyes hazy with lust and alcohol.

"Dancing," he murmured, pulling her into his arms.

"Dancing?" she murmured back, staring at his lips as if she wanted to devour them.

"I'll take any excuse I can to have you in my arms, beautiful."

~~~~~~~~~

Frank paced outside the room. He had been on his feet for more than nineteen hours, but he felt completely numb. He was dying to rush into the room and be there with his wife but he knew the doctor didn't want him in there.

Suddenly the door opened and the doctor rushed out, in his arms a small bundle.

"Take him, Frank!" Henry said frantically. 

Frank cuddled the baby to his chest. 

"What about Bella?" he asked. He felt his heart clench at the look the doctor shot him. He rushed into the room to see the nurse Henry brought with him holding blood soaked clothes to his wife's opening while Henry felt her stomach.

"What's going on?" Frank said. His voice came out in a hushed whisper. His worst fear was coming to life. She had no problem with the first baby but he had always feared that something would happen. He wanted her to give birth in the hospital but she wanted the familiarity of home. 

Henry didn't answer Frank and starting asking his wife where she felt the pain. Frank stood still while the child screamed in his arms.

Henry stood and quickly switched places with the nurse.

"Take the baby," he instructed the nurse in a calm voice. The nurse stood and carried the baby out of the room.

"What's wrong?" Frank yelled. His wife's drawn face was looking paler by the second.

Henry looked at Frank and slowly shook his head, conveying that his wife wasn't going to make it, and that a trip to the hospital would be pointless.

Frank felt his heart break. Unbelievable amounts of pain rain through his veins. Anger surged hot on its heels. He grabbed the doctor by the neck and through him against the wall of the bedroom.