Chapter 6

They were on the road once more.

Jemma was still asleep on the saddle but was jolted awake by a bump in the road. She jumped, fell out of the saddle and rolled to break her fall. She looked up at the the closest person to her, Halt.

He offered her his hand and pulled her to his feet. She climbed back in the saddle and everyone moved on, with occasional chuckling at a joke someone said to another.

They passed through towns and villages and eventually made camp. They sat around the campfire, eating bowls of stew that Will had made. After dinner, they settle the watch and went to sleep.

Jemma walked over to her father, who was lying on his side, his cloak draped over him. She lay down next to him, pulling some of the cloak over her and pulled his arms over her, into a hug. She fell asleep, listening to her father's heartbeat.

Halt looked over at Will, who he thought of as a son, and smiled. He was glad they were both happy.

...

The next morning they neared the castle. They camped out in the forest near it, and decided that there would be no fire, as that may arouse suspicion.

Will and Halt lead Jemma to the edge of the trees. She showed them the pattern she was going to take into the castle and they nodded, seeing the sense in what she said.

As dusk came and night fell, Will handed his daughter his cloak, and she gladly put it on. She quickly ran to the wall and scaled it to the first level. She looked around, to see if anyone saw her.

Nobody was out.

She lightly ran to the edge of the tower and climbed. She climbed and climbed until she made it to the window of the room that Jemma and Alyss shared. She lightly tapped on the window and looked over to see her mother reading a book.

Alyss didn't hear anything, but when Jemma tapped more viciously, she heard. She jumped up with a start, dropping her book and racing to the window. She carefully opened the well oiled window, allowing Jemma to climb in.

As soon as the girl had climbed in, Alyss wrapped her daughter in a hug.

Jemma quickly proceeded to tell Alyss the plan. Alyss didn't like it, as it may put her daughter in danger, but she knew it was necessary. She gave her daughter one last hug, and Jemma left, quickly making her way back to her father and Halt.

...

That night, next to the campfire, Jemma went over the plan once more.

The plan:

Alyss would take the duty of carrying logs on her back to the castle for the fireplace. She would pretend to collapse, when Jemma would race in and put the logs on her back, while Will jumped in and carried Alyss away. Gilan would have taken over Oracle's secretary and would be pretending to be him. Gilan would point out a commotion to Oracle and lead him outside. Jemma would slap him, angering him. Gilan would suggest whipping. In the night, Jemma would make her execution dress, making sure she can put in a hidden scabbard for her sword, before contacting Alyss and Will via the Courier's Code. Then during the execution, Halt would shoot the rope tying her hands and let her free. She would escape, fighting her way through, with Horace and Gilan helping. When they were defeated, Maddie would sneak into the castle and set it on fire. Then they would go home.

Jemma went to sleep that night, comforted by her companions.