Chapter 19

The next morning, the two different types of apprentices had lined up in front of the obstacle course.  Some of the Battleschool apprentices were sneering at the Ranger apprentices, especially Jemma.

"Let's show them what Ranger apprentices can do." Jemma muttered to David and Kyle.

David and Kyle went first, getting it in five minutes exactly.

Jemma stood back as the Battleschool apprentices went forward and completed the course. Many of them stopped at the end to gloat and stare at Jemma, trying to make her feel uncomfortable.

It didn't work for them.

Jemma grinned cheekily and David groaned. "Uh oh."

Kyle felt confused. "What?" He asked.

"She's going to do it." David muttered quietly to the older boy.

"Do what?"

"Just watch."

The two boys turned to watch Jemma, just as she took a running leap and grabbed onto the first bar of the obstacle course. 

The apprentices watched in awe as Jemma completed the course in record time, and landed perfectly at the end. Kyle whistled as David grinned.

The Battleschool students were silent. The young girl had just shown them up. 

"Don't judge me just because I am a girl. The obstacle course I practise on at home is a lot harder." Jemma grinned at the boys.

The Battleschool students surrounded her, congratulating her and clapping her on the back. After a few uncomfortable minutes for Jemma, she stepped over to the Ranger boys.

"How did I do?" Jemma asked them quietly.

"You showed them." Kyle said. 

Jemma turned to David and he grinned.

"Fantastic."

...

From then on, Jemma was accepted by the Battleschool students. Nick had lead the students in clapping her into the hall for their lunch, and Jemma felt midly pleased.

In exercises, the boys were eager to learn from the Ranger students, and they taught them to the best of their abilities. 

When the Rangers practised archery, the Battleschool students watched and when the Battleschool students practised their sword work, Jemma joined them.

One morning, Horace arrived for their private lesson.

The lesson was not private.

All the boys crowded around Jemma and Horace. The Ranger boys were a little more discreet, but she could see the eagerness on their faces.

The Battleschool students were eager to see the greatest knight in Araluen in action.

Jemma signalled for Horace to start. The two of them fought, swords clanging and air whistling. Jemma made sure to show Horace the defence and offence moves she had learnt with the other children and Horace was impressed at how much she had improved when being in a class.

Jemma felt more comfortable fighting then she had before in her life. She was in one of her zones.

Eventually, she found a break in Horace's defence and won.

She grinned happily and shook his hand, pleased. The boys stared at her in awe and she felt uncomfortable. She walked over to David and Kyle and grinned cheesily. Nick walked up to them and slapped her on the shoulder.

She cringed.

"That was some good swordwork, Jemma. The boys and I are agreeable on this." Jemma shook his hand as well and smiled.

"It's nice to have a change, every now and again." She grinned again.

"Why you..." Nick started, "You know what? I give up."

"You should have realized a long time ago," David grinned, "There's no winning with Jemma."

The four of them did a group hug.

...

A few days later, it was time to leave.

The Ranger apprentices said goodbye to the friends they had made then rode their horses back to the Ranger Cabin. There, David and Kyle's mentors were waiting for them. They lead the two other apprentices home and Jemma waved them off.

She walked into the cabin to see Gilan lying on the table, bleeding from a wound to his thigh and side. 

Jenny was crying in the corner and Will and Alyss were trying to heal him to the best of their abilities.

As Jemma gasped, a healer rushed in as well. 

Gilan was pale. Very pale.