Chapter 17

Jemma shot the arrow at the archery target. Once again, it hit the bullseye.

She sighed and picked up her daggers. She fought off an imaginary enemy, slashed at a tree and threw her daggers at the ground.

"Dad, can't we do something else? I've been practicing none stop for the past five weeks! Can't we learn more about tracking or something?"

Will chuckled. "Okay then Jemma, how about we ask Gilan if he has a mission for us. I think you are ready for one."

Jemma squealed. "What? Yes please!"

"Okay, I'll send for a mission."

...

A few days later, they got the reply in a sealed envelope.

Will handed Jemma the note from Gilan so she could read it.

"I agree that Jemma is completely read for this task. Well done Jemma." She read out loud for her mother to hear.

"Congratulations Jemma." Alyss said as she walked into the room and grabbed a piece of fruit.

"I'll have to ask Halt if he can look after the area for a few days while we are gone, but I'm sure he can handle it. He can still scare the wits out of a man." Will told her, grabbing an apple as well.

Jemma spotted Halt looking through the window and winked at him.

"I'm sure he would love the compliment if he could hear you, dad." She giggled.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure he can hear every word you say." She giggled again.

"What do you mean?" Will said again, confused. "Halt isn't here."

Alyss spotted Halt and put a hand to her mouth to hide her giggle.

Halt decided he had had enough. "You're getting old, Will." He said as he walked in the door.

Will went bright crimson. "Oops."

"Jemma saw me ages ago. You're supposed to be one of the kingdom's top Rangers, and you don't even notice your mentor waiting outside your home. Shame on you." Halt said, with a small smile.

"Did THE Halt just smile?" Jemma gasped, "Pinch me, I must be dreaming!" She cried dramatically, before grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

Halt opened his mouth, but forgot what he was going to say. Jemma reached over and closed his mouth for him.

...

"Right, so we are going to Cordom fief to help Ranger Theo and his apprentice, David, with some mysterious carriages going missing." Will told her.

She was happy that she was going to see David again. They had become good friends at the Gathering.

When they rode over to the cabin in Cordom fief, David was waiting for them. He and Jemma took Tug and Socks to the stable as Will greeted Theo.

As the horses settled, Jemma gave David a hug. They held hands and raced into the cabin. Jemma let go of David's hand and pounced on her father, who was just taking a sip of his coffee.

"What do we start with?" She said eagerly.

...

"You job is to stay silent and keep watch. This mission is more for you two to learn and observe." Theo said.

"We will be watching for the next mail carriage. It is probably just a simple robbery that is going on. You guys will be waiting in the trees and keeping watch. You will use your bows if necessary." Will said, looking at Jemma in particular.