Chapter 9

Tug and Abelard had grown quite attached to the little wolf, which Jemma had named Sapphire. The wolf followed her and the horses around wherever they went and Jemma loved Sapphire.

Sapphire had grown a bit and she was fed with strips of meat that the Rangers got from the leftovers of meat they had hunted down.

The group had boarded a boat and they were now making there way back to Araluen, to their home, or in Jemma's case, her rightful home.

The only problem was that Sapphire didn't like the boat. She was terrified of the surrounding waves and stuck to Jemma's side at all times, terrified of the girl falling. She was like a faithful dog, which worried Will of what would happen when the wolf met his dog.

He brushed the worried thoughts aside and watched his daughter.

Gilan and Horace had spoken to her the night before and the three had decided for Jemma to verse Horace in a duel, to see her level of skill with a sword. If, at the extreme chance she did beat him, she would verse Gilan.

They had decided that it was a friendly duel, so they would slow the sword just before it hit their opponent, just to show.

And this was the very reason that Will looked at his daughter now. She was decked in the clothing that Alyss had given her a little while ago. She stood tall in front of Horace, who both had their swords in their scabbards. Halt was holding Sapphire back, in fear that the wolf would run out in the middle, thinking that she had to protect Jemma.

Alyss called the okay to start and in a blur, Jemma's sword was out, pointing to Horace. Horace grinned at the ease she had had her sword out and grabbed the hilt of his own sword, pulling it carefully out of the scabbard as it made a satisfying sound.

The two faced each other, swords out and started to duel. Horace was incredibly impressed, as not one of his swings hit her, not even the trick ones, and she still managed to try and rain her own blows down at him.

Horace tried his best, but he started to find that he couldn't break her guard. He couldn't get the sword to that one move that would signal the end of the duel.

They were in the midst of their fight when Jemma finally saw a small break in Horace's manner, as small change, that might give her the advantage.

She flung forward, swinging the sword in a deadly arch, before slowing it down quickly and hitting Horace with the flat of the blade, softly in the middle of his neck.

She carefully moved the sword away and Horace stared down, amazed at the speed and skill she had just shown.

Will burst out laughing at his friend and yelled, "Beaten by a 14-year-old girl! Fantastic, Jemma!"

Horace looked at Will with a grimace, before chuckling himself and accepting Jemma's handshake. He gave her a hug, congratulating her, admiring the way she didn't make a big show of her win.

Jemma placed her sword back in her scabbard, before Gilan stepped forward, greeted her once more, and readied himself for his duel with the girl.

Hearing the commotion and the sounds of swords scraping against each other, the crew of the boat quickly came to watch the second duel. Bets were made between the crew, of her would win and how long the duel would go for. They hadn't seen the last duel and one look at the young girl, and the strong man told them all they thought they needed to know.

Alyss called the okay to go once more, and within seconds, both swords were out and another duel had started once more.

Once again, Jemma held her ground, not letting any hits past her, while she still tried to rain her own blows.

Gilan found himself surprised as he ducked his friend's daughter's swing and responded with his own. He hadn't expected her to be this good.

He tried as all he could, but realised within seconds that this girl was already a natural, without her, or anybody else knowing. He could see the surprise on her face when she had beaten Horace and realised that she thought she was going to be beaten.

While Gilan was thinking all this, he missed one swing that Jemma had made, and slowed down, before her sword tapped his abdomen. He looked down with surprise and realised the entire boat had gone quiet, before cheers broke the silence.

The crew exchanged money, and Gilan shook Jemma's hand, still seeing the surprise on her face. He turned to Horace and said, "She's a natural!" Before noticing that Horace had figured out the same thing.

Halt grinned this time and yelled, "Beaten by a 14-year-old girl! Fantastic Jemma!", perfectly mimicking Will and his voice, causing Jemma, Alyss and Maddie to burst out laughing and the three men to turn with surprise to Halt, before laughing themselves.

Sapphire leapt from Halt's strong arms and pounced on Jemma, knocking her to the ground and snuggling into her side, causing Jemma to laugh even more.

That night, the group fell asleep, next to there horses, grins still etched on their faces.