Chapter 20

"It's expected to be a new enemy. Attacks on smaller towns are starting to become more frequent."

They were having a meeting. Will, Jemma and Halt has helped transport Gilan to Castle Araleun. Jenny and Alyss had joined them and Lady Pauline had stayed to look after the cabin.

They were now gathered around Cassandra and Horace, at their meeting table. They were discussing the recent threats.

"There is nothing we can do until we find out who it is." Cassandra said.

"Could it maybe..could it be Morgarath's old followers gathering to have revenge?" Jemma asked weakly.

The adults turned to her. "Probably not." Horace said thoughtfully.

"It's a possibility, but unlikely." Halt said.

...

A few weeks later, Jemma watched as the Battleschool apprentices that had been chosen to visit the cabin had arrived. Most prominent was Nick, who looked like the official leader of the group.

As they passed, Jemma decided to play a joke on them.

She climbed a tree and said fairly loudly, "Hello boys."

Sir Rodney was leading them to the cabin and he felt amused. He knew what Jemma was doing and it was quite amusing to see the boys looking everywhere for the source of the voice.

Jemma smirked. She lifted an arrow to her quiver and shot it at a tree.

The boys were almost squealing with fright.

Jemma laughed as she jumped down from her perch and retrieved her arrow.

"Hello Sir Rodney," she said politely as the boys stared at her with a mixture of shock, horror and amusement. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you, young Jemma." Sir Rodney laughed, "Nice work."

"If you like, I can lead them the rest of the way." She said.

"Why thank you. Send my regards to your father." Sir Rodney left and Jemma smirked at the boys.

"Aww, did little ol' Jemma scare you?" She said innocently.

She lead them to the cabin where Will, Alyss and Halt were waiting.

"Good morning, boys." Will said, cheerily, raising a cup of coffee in greeting.

"Sir Rodney sends his regards." She said cheerily. Halt passed her a cup of coffee, just the way she liked it. She smiled and did the same as her father before taking a sip.

The boys set up their tent. The five boys were sharing a tent, and Jemma set up a one-man tent next to theirs for herself.

...

"Come on, Jemma! Fifty more!" Halt said, as Jemma gathered her arrows.

The boys had been watching in awe as Jemma released arrow after arrow, all hitting the targets. She was an impressive sight.

After her archery, she had gone to the sling and done the same.

After that, she had practised throwing her knives, over and over.

The boys then watched as she scaled the first wall to her obstacle course and completed it five times. Her obstacle course she had to complete was much more complicated then the one at the Battleschool.

She then swung herself through the trees, back and forth twenty times.

And that was all before noon.

After lunch, Jemma sparred with the boys and they watched as she learnt mapwork, tracking and other skills.

The boys helped her complete her chores and she was done for the day.

The boys had tried to keep up, but they were extremely surprised how much she did each day.

"Do you do this every day?" Nick asked her.

She nodded and he whistled.

"That is why, you should never underestimate a Ranger." Jemma told him. "There are too many uncertainties about us, and we train very hard."