Chapter 16

"Okay first-years apprentices. We are now going to officially test you on your archery and how well you throw knives. As other forms of weaponry are optional, we will test you on them later. Jemma, you will be tested by Gilan on your sword skills, and then the people who are learning the sling will be tested by Ranger Maddie later on."

Jemma bounced over to the spot where she had to shoot from. She hooked her bow and locked an arrow in place.

She shot, and it hit the bullseye.

Halt sighed. "Jemma, I didn't tell you to go yet."

"Oops, sorry Halt." She said nervously.

"It's okay. Now everybody line up and shoot when I say go."

Jemma's friends and Jamie and Harold lined up to shoot. They locked arrows ready and lined up where they knew the arrow was going to go.

"Go." Halt said.

Immediately all six arrows shot, and they all landed in or near the bullseye. But the most amazing was Jemma's. Her arrow went into the exact same spot as her last.

Halt walked over to Jemma's archery target and examined the arrow. He saw that it had split the last one completely in half. He opened his mouth in shock.

"You kids have finished the archery test. You will have a break apart from Jemma, who will be doing her test with the sword. If you wish to watch her, you may."

The children walked off, and Halt called over Will, who had been hiding in the trees, although Jemma had seen him and winked before shooting the first time.

The two examined the arrows, amazed at the accuracy she had shown. They called over Theo, who had been watching David, and he also marvelled. They were amazed by this feat, especially for one at such a young age.

"You have a very talented daughter, Will." Theo said.

...

While this was happening, the other apprentices were watching Jemma fight with Gilan.

She parried, thrusted and caught the sword with her own. The teenagers watched with excitement as their friend seemed to start having the upper hand.

Eventually, a crowd had grown as Gilan and Jemma fought. They watched as she disarmed him, then quick as lightning put the sword against his neck. Gilan looked at her and smirked.

They shook hands, and that when they saw the crowd watching them.

The first-year apprentices cheered while Jemma smirked and the other Rangers laughed at Gilan's expressions as he saw that the others knew he was beaten by a young girl. It wasn't often a girl learned to fight with a sword.

Will came with Halt into the clearing and hugged his daughter.

"To bad, mate." He said to Gilan. Gilan smiled.

...

The last test was about to begin.

The first-year apprentices who had been learning the sling were lined up, with metal helmets on stakes in front of them.

"Ready... shoot!"

Holly and Jemma shot. It was mainly the girls that used the sling now in the Rangers, although a few of the newer male recruits had learned how to use the small weapon.

Holly's had landed in the centre of the helmet, while Jemma's had landed in the centre of the eye visor of the helmet.

Mark and David clapped. The four friends had agreed to meet after the last test, but the boys turned up to watch them anyway.

Halt allowed them to go, and the friends left, laughing, to their tents. They made a small fire and sat around it, roasting sausages that Mark had brought with him.

They chatted, and soon Jamie and Harold joined them.

After an hour, their mentors collected them to go to a small ceremony to let them know if they had passed. Jemma sat at the front with Holly, with David and Mark behind them.

"Congratulations apprentices. You have all passed." Jamie and Harold cheered at Halt's announcement. Holly hugged Jemma and David and Mark laughed.

"You all did exceptionally at all tests, and you should feel pleased with yourselves. Now remember to keep up with your training. Thank you, goodbye until next year."

...

The next day marked the end if the Ranger Gathering.

Jemma said goodbye to Holly and Mark, as David and his mentor would be travelling with them most of the way.

David and Jemma rode in front, laughing and talking, while their mentors and Halt were behind, watching them and the surroundings.

When Jemma arrived home, she raced through the door, immediately talking to her mother and Lady Pauline, who had been waiting for the group to arrive home.

The two women laughed as Jemma told them enthusiastically about the gathering.