Chapter 3: The Smurf who stole some teeth again

"If I buy you a flower, would you go on a date with me?"

The man gripped the hem of his shirt for dare life as his hands shook. Never in his life had he met such a woman. He watched her bent over to look closer at the flowers in the shop, a few strands of hair falling from behind her ear and caressing her face.

"Which one do you like? I will buy you all of them if you want." Nyx smiled at James.

***

"Nyx, where the fuck are you because aunt Greta is already here and has brought that little Satan she calls her kid; uncle Greg is already drunk, and mom is angry with dad for burning down the counter, and she’s taking it out on me." Owen's voice sounded pretty desperate through the phone after the third call. He sounded so anxious, Nyx started to feel a ping of pity for him in her heart. “Please, don’t leave me here alone.”

“I’m on my way, so shut up and wait.” She hung up the phone and made herself comfortable in the passenger’s seat while Lucy drove. Walter’s house was an hour drive away from her parents house where she had to stop by to pick up a few things and feed her cat, so it would take a while to arrive there.

Maybe it was because Nyx had spoiled it a little too much, but the cat wanted to follow her everywhere and would make a whole mess if she left it alone for a long time. She intended to only feed it, and leave but the fur of ball became clingy all of sudden and Nyx didn’t have it in her heart to leave her precious baby alone. Especially after what happened today.

Nyx stroked the little cat’s head that was sleeping in her lap, a soft smile on her lips. Lucy glanced at her with the corner of her eyes. She looked at her friend and at the cat on her lap, looking like she wanted to say something, but she remained silent.

Nyx wasn’t paying any attention to her. She rested her head against the car’s window, her eyelids feeling a bit heavy. She really wanted to sleep to energize and prepare herself for the long lunch with her family because she really needed it. But the moment Nyx closed her eyes, James’s face flashed through her mind.

She had to bail him out, but calling her assistant to do that meant that Mr. Timmy Gunner would definitely snitch on her to her grandfather the moment she hung up the phone. And Nyx wasn’t sure if telling Walter would be a good idea. It would cause unnecessary problems. After all, she didn’t plan on approaching James. Nyx had to give up on that five years ago.

Since her assistant was out of the question, Nyx decided to ask her brother for help again.
However, this time she simply texted him.

Nyx: [Can you do me another favor? (ಥ﹏ಥ)]

Owen: [What now?]

Nyx: [Well… can u bail him out?]

Owen: […]

Nyx: [I kind of, accidentally, got him arrested.]

Owen: [!!!]

Owen:  [What the fuck Nyx! It’s not even noon yet!]

Nyx: [I will tell you everything when I come there just please do as I say.]

Owen couldn’t do anything but sigh and do as told.

Walter lived inside a gated community. Lucy drove the car near the gate and waited for the guard to identify them before letting them in.

“I still can’t get used to this.” Lucy said when Walter’s house came to view.

Nyx wasn’t the person to flaunt her wealth around, even more so when it was her grandfather who was the rich one, but she could say that she lived quite comfortably. Even though the house where she lived with her parents wasn’t in a gated community where the houses looked more like castles, it still was pretty big by Nyx’s standards. Her grandfather’s house on the other hand was at least five times bigger than hers, and Walter would always make fun of Nyx whenever she got lost in there or had to run a whole marathon to go to the bathroom.