Chapter 20: Lies

"You're going to be okay, I'm sure of it."

Nyx patted James's back with one hand as the other touched his waist. His scent filled her nostrils, calming down her trembling heart as she nestled in the crook of his neck. "I'm sorry."

James swallowed back a sob, trying hard to look as calm as he could but his chest hurt. He was so scared... so scared that the woman he loved with all his heart was sick and in so much pain. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I made you sad..."

"I want to be sad. I want to be sad and happy with you. So, get better, okay?"

***

The voice of the woman was soft, natural and unbothered as if what she said had nothing to do with her. She picked up her fork and continued eating, but James couldn’t even swallow down the lump that formed in his throat, let alone the food.

What is wrong with your heart? James wanted to ask her this question so badly, but the words couldn’t get out of his mouth. He was even scared to ask. Scared to know the answer.

Nyx saw him so restless and ill at ease, and a smile spread on her face, but despite it resting on her lips, it didn’t reach her eyes. Her eyes mirrored the pain and sadness that scarred her heart. For a moment she felt like she was sent back to five years ago when she woke up in the hospital bed, and James wasn’t there, when she called him, screamed his name, but he didn’t show up. Two whole months, followed by five years...

It hurt. It really hurt.

Nyx blinked to dry out the tears that welled up in her eyes. She grabbed the glass of water and took a few sips to calm down before talking to James as if nothing was wrong.

“Don’t worry about it, love. Everything is fine now. It’s nothing.”

But James couldn’t believe her words. His eyes didn’t leave her from the second she answered him. His heart felt heavy, as if it had suddenly turned into iron weighting him down.

Then why do you look like that when it’s nothing?

Nyx noticed his look and shook her head, chuckling. "Do you care about me so much?”

Suddenly, getting teased, James lowered his head and filled his mouth to avoid talking. His ears felt hot.

“It’s really nothing, though. It's just that... they aren’t fond memories to look back at.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

The two of them ate in silence for the rest of the dinner, each of them lost in their thoughts. When the meal was done, James helped Nyx clean up the table and insisted on doing the dishes since Nyx cooked. The latter had nothing against it.

While James washed the dishes, Nyx went to her room to change clothes since she didn’t have the time to do it earlier. She changed into a black pair of sweatpants and a loose grey t-shirt, before walking out of the room while untying her hair. Her hand ran through the blue hair, messing it up as the soft curls fell over her shoulders.

“I have ice cream. Do you want some?” Nyx asked James. She walked to the living room, but her steps halted when she saw the man with his back turned to her, standing in the middle of her living room. He was holding something in his hand, staring at it.

Her breath hitched when she realized what James was holding in his hand. She wanted to curse herself for being careless. Trying to play it cool, Nyx walked to the kitchen, took a tube of ice cream from the freezer and two spoons before walking back to the living room and sitting on the couch.