The Wish

"I'm giving you one wish, only one." said the old lady.

"I wish for love." I replied immediately.

I thought she would laugh at me for asking something stupid. But instead, I can see a hint of smile on her face.

Ever since I can remember, I've never been in love. I see love every day. I read about it, but I've never experienced it.

I don't have what you would call a family. I don't have friends either. I'm homeless. Literally.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "Once it's done, you can never wish it back."
I could wish for tons of money. I could wish a way to find my family. But I won't.

"I'm positive." I said.

'Love is never an easy thing. It's a journey to one's happiness. An expedition to find peace. You would experience hardships beyond your comprehension. Your patience will be tested to its limits. You will know pain. A kind of pain that can render you useless. A pain that can shake your soul and leave you empty. A pain that leaves you breathless, weak and woebegone. Do you still wish for it?"

I've never wanted anything this much in my life.

"I do." I said eagerly.

"Very well. You must prepare, for you will start your journey tomorrow." she advised. "Once you become an Inhabiter you must find your Drifter or you will both die. Beware the ones that follow you would share the same fate."

I did not understand what she meant, but her words sounded ominous.
"As long as it leads to love." I say this with hope, wishing that I may find the right person for me.

"Believe me son, it will." she assured me.
She placed a hand on my chest - where the heart should be - and closed her eyes. She started speaking in a different language that I don't know, but somehow, understood.

"Half a heart
Fated souls
One is to each
Each is to one

An Inhabiter that searches
A Drifter that waits
A difficult journey for love
Now, let it commence"