16 Days Left

Have I been really selfish? I only want to save us. Was that a bad thing?

I'm not really sure what to do now. My time is almost over. My drifter left me and I'm as confused as hell.

If love is letting her be happy, then it also means letting her die. It means doing nothing to save her. Is that what love really is? If I love her I would let her go, if I do, I would let her die.

"Victor, hurry." A female voice said, "Wake up or you'll be late." Her voice with a note of urgency jolted me away from my troubling thoughts.

"Hurry up. I'll take you to school. Leave now before he wakes up." She said before leaving.

Did I hear her correctly? Did she call me by my name? How did she know? After a few moments of disorientation I finally had the sense to access memories.

There are 7. 4 billion humans on earth. Each one of us, have our own names. No matter how unique and one of a kind you think your name is, you always have at least fifty people with the same name as yours. That being said there is a really small chance that one would meet a person bearing the same name. As always I stand corrected.

Today I am inhabiting a body named Victor, and Victor will be late for school if I didn't move.

As I prepare for school I started accessing deeper into his mind. I am curious how the Victors of the world think.

He is broken, physically and emotionally. I can see it in his mind, the bruises that cover his body, the aches I feel all over, and through his mannerisms.

His memories show of an abusive father and a beaten mother. His parents often fight, resulting on his father hitting him and his mother. Victor rarely goes to school without marks.

His love for his mother often caused his additional abrasions. He would always protect her in the middle of fights, and take hits for her.

He grew up to hate his father. His actions caused him to have problems with violence, he developed trust issues, his socializing skills even went south because of his hate and fear for the bastard. His friends left him, they don't want a piece of his drama. Only one stayed and helped him out.

And what are the chances? His friend that stayed is a she, and her name's Elizabeth.

I'm finished preparing. I didn't eat any breakfast, nothings on the table and it would cause me to stay longer in this shit hole.

"I'm sorry baby." Victor's mother told me. She placed her hand on the nape of my neck and caressed me. "This is the drill, you know this. Promise me to stay out as long as possible."

I saw a memory of Victor sitting outside his house, waiting.

He doesn't want this. He's afraid that if he does this, his mother would get killed if he's away.

"But mom,"

"No buts Victor. Promise me, please." She insisted

"I promise to stay out as long as I can."

My words seem to lift a heavy weight out of her shoulders. She patted me one last time and started the car.

The car ride was silent. Not awkward nor uncomfortable. It's the kind of silence that understands, that there are no words necessary to have a conversation.

We arrive in school as the first bell rang.

"Go, now! Remember honey, stay safe." She said to me as I got out the car. "I love you." She added.

I looked back and smiled at her reassuringly.

I want to help. I don't know how, but I feel like, there is a reason I woke up in Victor's body today. Maybe that reason is for me to help. Even if it's only a day, I want to help and make a difference.

-----

Is it just me or is the universe making fun of me?

The only friend I have for today is Elizabeth, who by the way won't even look at me.

She's the only one who knows Victor more than I do. I need her help to devise a plan of some sorts.

We're on second period, a class where Elizabeth and Victor share. I've been trying to call her attention without getting caught. It's either she can't hear me or she's ignoring me. I would go for the latter. I accessed Victor's memories to see if they had a fight. But they were okay until yesterday. Was it something Victor did that I didn't see in his memories?

The universe really is messing with me.

I access Victor's memories of his Elizabeth. Maybe I missed something.

I saw snippets of their hang outs and conversation, and saw that Elizabeth is everything a friend should be. Stays beside you, hears you out, gives you useful advices, and most importantly, she helps you out, through every sticky situations.

But why not now?