The Dream

"Do you have a name?" she asked me.

"Do I need a name?" I asked back.

"Of course you do silly. A name is a word that others use to call you. It helps you be found when you're lost." She told me innocently.

Her words, simple and innocent -not meant to harm, but to express emotions and thoughts- hurt me.

The youth of today is our future tomorrow, so one should never lie to them. So I told her the truth, "But I have no one to call me and I'm always lost, so it's useless to have a name."

"If no one calls you then I will. I'll find you when you're lost. You will have a name and it won't be useless." She said this with hope, her words slowly digging a hole in my heart that will be there, forever etched, her words filled with hope for me and my wild self.

A warmth I've never felt enveloped me. My eyes started to water. "Hey, don't cry. I told you I'll call you right?" She assured me.

I'm afraid. I am scared, I don't want to get hurt. "You won't find me, I get lost every day." I told her honestly

She smiled at me. Despite our height difference she encircled me with a hug. "Don't worry, I'll stay here and call for you. I'll never forget, I promise."

I cried. She held me closer, stroking my hair and repeatedly murmured that everything will be all right. I do not know what a real family feels like, but her presence felt like home.

She's the first person I ever loved and cared for. I know I will get hurt tomorrow, but she's worth more than a hundred stabs in the heart.

"Why don't we have the same name?"

"Same name?"

"Yes. From now on we will both be called Elizabeth. Okay?"

"Okay."