Chapter One

"Asalamualaykum dear, did you sleep well?.., how's your headache now?... Is your temperature still high? ... Do you need some pain killers or something?... Would you rather eat first? .... Wait! Have you even brushed your teeth?".... my mom stares at me like she wasn't just ranting and suffocating me with questions!

"Firstly, wa alaykumussalam to you mom, Alhamdulillahi, I slept well, my headache is gone now, no, I don't think my temperature's still high, and no, I'm fine, I don't need painkillers or anything. Is that all mom?"...

I said, trying to get her to believe that I really was okay, I had to go to school today, it was sickening missing one day of school already, and I feel like I'd come up with a worse illness if I stayed at home for a second more.

"That's not all Aatikah, I also asked if you wanted something to eat first, or even brushed your teeth?"

"Mooom!!!,... I'm all dressed up and ready for school, of course I've brushed my teeth, I did that before taking my bath"

I wonder how she managed to remember so many things at a time, I really wish I had such good memory.

"Alright, alright,... so, food?"

She said going round the kitchen and trying to fix a plate of something I couldn't quite see well...

"No ma, I'm good. I'll grab something at the cafeteria in school, I just want to be on my way now, so I don't miss my first period"

I replied, looking at my wrist watch, seeing that it was some minutes after 8 already, looking around the dining area, I hear my brother's voice coming from outside

"Come on Tik, we're running late! What's taking you so long? I'm not gonna miss my first period cos of you, like, that's the only period I have classes with Sumayyah this week"

I rolled my eyes hearing this part, like seriously, was my brother really bothered about getting late cos he didn't really want to be late, ....or was it just cos of a girl?

"Pfft!... she barely even notices you, can't you just stop being all haram, and let the girl be?"

I scolded, preparing myself for what would come next....

"Whatever, let's just go already! "

Or not! Great, Umar decided not to say anything, that's new, he probably couldn't come up with anything cos he realised I was right..

I walked up to my mom and gave her a hug, picked my phone and purse on the coffee table, and said my Salaams as I left the house.