Chapter Six

Aatikah's POV
Friday morning: 8:22 A.M
I turned on my data connection, and went straight to 'Quad Squad' it was the name Tina came with for our group on whatsapp, only her, May, Munirah and I were on it.
Me: What's up lovelies!?
Sum_Haz: Nothin much... I can tell 2day wud be boring already... *yawns*
ThinHer: how cud u even think of such a thing much less say it? I mean it's prom, today's only gonna be boring if you've not gotten a nice dress, a lovely pair of Jimmy choos and a tall, dark, swoon- worthy date to accompany u to the prom!... *rolls eyes*
Me: are u for real?... you mean one can only have a good time at an award/ prom night if only one has a date?!... unbelievable!!
ThinHer: u better believe it Chica! I could help both of u find one,... there's still plenty of time
Munirah Imran: are u just trying to pull their legs Tina? u know very well that they don't do the whole 'dating' thing
ThinHer: what about u?
Munirah Imran: hmmm... well, I don't exactly date per se, but I've got a date for tonight. I mean kevin asked me to the dance, and I was so speechless cos there was no way I'd have seen such a thing coming, so.. he took my silence for a yes, and... I guess... that's about that!
May_Haz: are u kidding me Munirah?! You never even mentioned it!
Munirah Imran: well, I just did, now. Didn't I?.... I mean,... I'm sorry, I know I shudda said something, but I had a feeling u girls were gonna go all haram police on me
May_Haz: well, you certainly got that part right, plus u shud have consulted us first or something. When did this even happen? How come we weren't there?... *furious*
Me: Calm down May,... just let it be. What's happened has happened... there's no going back now
May_Haz: ugh!... I'm gonna calm down, .... alright... I'll calm down! .... I mean I'm not supposed to be this furious, am I?
Munirah Imran: what else do you want me to say Sumayyah? I'm really sorry?
May_Haz: there! There u go again!!... I mean, u're the only one that uses ur full name as a username, u act all quiet and gentle, all holy art thou, you even barely call me "May", always Sumayyah and now a cute guy dat u've been crushing on for the past five years, comes asking u to the prom, and u cudn't just reserve yourself a little bit uhn?... all for what?
ThinHer:... uh-oh!... May, I think dats enough. We're really not doing this, are we?... we're not just gonna let some cute face come in between what we've got right? After how many years??
Me: we all know that Tina's right.... You've just gotta be careful Munirah.
Munirah Imran: *sad face*...
May_Haz: I'm sorry Munirah, I shudnt have overreacted that way.... come on nw... smile for mama! *winks*
Me: that's more like it... now, whose place are we meeting?
ThinHer: I guess that wud be mine! ... since I'll be doing the make-up and ticking your dresses... oh God!! I can't wait. You guys shud go offline already!
Munirah: Erm, guys... I don't have a dress yet... *scratches head*
May_Haz: why don't I be ur fairy godmother then!... I still have to get to the store to get a few things...
Munirah: what would I do without you mom? .... you're a lifesaver!! *muah*
Me: remember we're exchanging gifts! *big grin*
ThinHer: that's gonna be the best part... yay!!
May_Haz: alright kids... off you go. Munirah, I'll wait for your call eh?
Munirah: yes ma.... *smiles*

As I stepped into the school premises, I looked around me, and stood for a while breathing in fresh air as I turned my head towards the west to watch the sun set. My eyes are steady to the horizon, my face aglow with the last orange rays before twilight beckons the stars. Subhanallah! It was such a sight to behold.
"Hello there!"... Ya Allah!... I jolted in surprise as Umar came from behind me, if the guy standing in front of me wasn't my brother, I'd have been tempted to reconsider having a date. He sure knew how to clean up nice, he wore a black tuxedo, like almost every other guy, with a white shirt inside and an army-green bow-tie, he wore a black trouser slightly above his ankle, exposing his multi-colored socks, that seemed to be the new trend nowadays, he wore black suede shoes and had his hair neatly combed.
"Alright sis, I'll just go get a bucket for you, else you'll drool all over the whole place. Can't a guy look this good?" he said adjusting his tie and brushing his hair back with his hands
I just scoffed and turned around, pretending to be looking for someone, although I was honestly wondering where Tina had gone to, we were together minutes ago, and she said she wanted to grab something, so we had May and Munirah head in ahead of us.
"You wish bro, you don't look any different to me"
"Why! Thank you sis... you don't look too bad yourself"... he said making me twirl in my dress, it was a pleated maxi dress with pearl embellishment, it was burgundy in colour, I had used a light pink scarf to tie a turban on my head, and I wore 2-strap beige colored Mary Jane Patent 4 inch heels . I knew I looked good too Ma Shaa Allah. Tina made sure she put some foundation, podwer, concealer, eye shadow and all, on my face. I really didn't know much about makeup so I had no idea what she put on where.
I saw Jones walking toward my brother, there were two other guys with him, one looked familiar but I couldn't remember his name, I was sure I hadn't seen the other around cos surely I'd have remembered his face at least.
I stood there looking awkwardly as the guys began exchanging hugs and handshakes, Jones extended his hand, and I shook it, a slight brush creeping up my cheek. I immediately put my head down, staring at my shoes.
I had no idea what to do or say. I noticed the guy that I-recognized-his face-but-couldn't-place-his-name, move from one foot to another and scratch his head like he was also feeling uneasy having me around.
I really didn't know what to do, what was taking Tina so long!
I was about to come up with some excuse when I saw a redhead jump in between us and hugged me by the side, apparently she had dyed her hair, and was jumping all about so everyone could see.
"Oh, Victor! I'm so sorry,... I went towards the gate to see if I was gonna notice when you came in, but I guess I was too busy greeting other people, I hope you haven't been waiting for too long?"... Tina asked facing the guy that I couldn't place his face at all.
"No, not at all babe, luckily for me,my neighbor here, Jones, attended your school and he also explained that his friend and your friend were siblings and he kinda knew you, so I decided to tag along with them. They're very much fun to be with, but not as fun as you." Victor replied, hugging Tina
"Aww guys. Thanks for doing this. I'm really grateful." Tina said and suddenly remembered that I was there...
"Oh Tik! I'm really sorry, I must have kept you waiting for so long!... why don't we all head inside and get this party started?!!! Woohoo!!!"
Tina screamed as we all walked in together, I just shook my head in amusement at her enthusiasm. The girl eh!