Chapter Twenty-Six

Umar's POV

My head is buzzing already, I could practically feel each of my nerves run from one end to another, and yet I was still stood in the middle of our presently very busy living room.

I'm presently giving orders to a man who appears to be really too tall for my liking, I'm having him hang decorations on places where my hands can't get to.... I mean he's tall and getting paid for a reason right?

Not that I'm not tall you know, but when one has too much muscles sometimes, it tends to sap out the height from you,.... Just saying, in my defense...

"No...no...noo, did you not hear me? Do not place those flowers over there! The color of the wall's too bright to accommodate a bunch of yellow roses... Can't you see that!
Take it over there,... Yeah... There, the coffee, table... That should be better,.... Good, great job,.... can you see the difference now?"

I watch amusingly as mom instructs some tired looking guys about... I'm about to turn on my heels when her voice stops me in my tracks.

Couldn't I just get away with this one?

"Umar!! Where are you?... I need you to call the cake shop to confirm if our orders would be available by Friday... Hanifa! Please confirm that the caterers are still making small chops and Chapman,.... last time I called ,the lady said she wasn't sure cos they also had to deliver to people throughout the week, Ya Allah, I pray she's able to squeeze in some time for us too..."

I'm about to go and do as my mom said when she yells my name again,

"Umar! Don't leave yet, I also need you to call your sister, tell her to come home immediately, its almost dhur and she has to be at the tailor's for her dress fitting by 3"

So, I'm the one who doesn't have to do a dress fitting, right?

"Mom, you've really got to calm down, we hired event planners for a reason, you know? I'm afraid all our money's gonna go to waste with you doing everything yourself!
I mean, the wedding is still about a week away and you're so bothered about cakes and what not! Whatever's the rush for?"

My mom sighs as she looks at me with tired and baggy eyes

"What would you know about planning a wedding my little boy?"

She still manages to smile through all the stress and I couldn't help but smile too, I take her hands in mine and I squeeze them gently

"If you leave everything to the event planners, they'll definitely not do it as you want, and we've begun to receive visitors already, .... this place has to look really presentable, not that we're trying to impress anyone ,but its better this way.

More so, your cousins would be flying in tomorrow night, and I'm pretty sure that I won't have you at my beck and call as I've had the past few weeks, with you guys trying to catch up and all... When was the last time you spoke to Ali uhn?... Or even Layla, your childhood sweetheart?"

"Mom!! Layla's not my childhood... Whatever! Eew, I can't even say the words Astagfirullah! I'm gonna be a married man in less than a week, you can't let anyone hear about this, I don't want anyone getting the wrong ideas"

"Of course, of course, I was only pulling your legs, now take five and get back to work, I have to go back to check on the boys working on the garden."
She gives me a light kiss on both cheeks and walks away.

I immediately plop down into the couch right next to me, lazily stretching my feet and my back... They both hurt like hell. Even my arms and legs were beginning to feel numb from driving for hours non stop throughout yesterday.