My Song

The Voice of Wattpad's Battle Round Entry.

--

My Song

by superjelly

It's loud everywhere. The enthusiastic screams of dancing people are clashing with the blast of the speakers that are attached on the wall that plays groovy music. The joy plastered on the faces of the crowd shows that they are having fun.

In the midst of this place where everyone can be wild and free, stands Eve who is oblivious to her surroundings. Her ears are covered with her old earphones that is almost broken, while she hums to her favorite song. She wipes the counters as the drunk customers swift away to the dance floor and have the time of their lives.

"Eve, can you serve this to table number 3?" Bryan, who isn't aware that Eve cannot hear him because of the earphones stuck on her ears, told her. He called her again, and again, and again, until he got annoyed enough to just serve the drinks on his own.

After wiping off the counters, she turns to the now unoccupied tables at the left side of the room, walks down the elevated floor, goes to the table, and started collecting all the bottles and glasses that are left behind. As she is doing so, the music she is listening to suddenly stopped. Her mind is immediately brought back to the place where she is right now.

Eve takes her phone out from the pocket of her jeans and checked it. The battery is now empty. She remembers that she wasn't able to charge it at home before going off to her job. She is frustrated at first, but decided to just let it go after a couple of seconds and then puts the phone back in her pocket together with her earphones.

She tries to concentrate on doing her job now that she can already hear the noise around her. For her, the music that the bar plays doesn't make sense at all. She isn't the kind of person that goes for the wild vibe, but here she is, back at this place where she doesn't fit in.

She placed all the empty bottles and glasses on the tray she has been holding and delivered these back to the dish washing room. After doing that, she noticed that the dance floor has been cleared out and the noise coming both from the speakers and the mob are silenced. The technical staff are now setting up the stage. By the looks of it, she could tell that the main event of the night will be going to start shortly. 

***

Caleb, on the other hand, is feeling uneasy. No, he isn't nervous because of the thought of a large audience who will watch him; he's used to that. He feels that way because he hasn't lit a cigarette yet ever since yesterday. His older sister visited his place yesterday, and because his sister is someone who is against cigarette smoking, he just couldn't do it at that time with her around.

His performance will start in a minute. After that, he can finally lit one and vent out all the frustrations and irritations that are filling inside him. 

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Tonight, as each one of you know, we have a very special guest," the emcee announced. People started to react. "Okay, let's give a round of applause to Mr. Caleb Araneta!"

That is his cue. He walks to the center of the stage and waves at those people who are watching him. All of them screamed, called his name, and gave him praises. He isn't even starting yet.

"Hey there guys," he said, flashing them the sweetest smile he could make. "I'm glad to be here tonight." That was at least true for his part. He really loves this place, because this is where he often played his songs when he was just starting his music career. He's thankful that he still feels welcomed despite the fact that it has been a long time since he last performed here.