Snow White and her Seven Demons

The Voice of Wattpad PR #1 Entry. The story that is closest to my heart because... well, it is based on my erm, real life story. Lol. Echos. Charot. Haha. Basta 'yun. (Pero hindi po ako maputi promise XD)

--

Snow White and her Seven Demons

by superjelly

My mother told me that when I was still a baby, I looked as white as the snow. I don't know if I'll believe what she says because there is no single photo of me back then since she burned those pictures several years ago.

Mirror mirror on the wall, whose the fairest of them all?

As I stare at my reflection, all I could see is a girl who looks so fragile and soft as a snow. I don't look fair, but I was like the snow fading on a springtime. I cannot recognize myself anymore because all I could see are the seven demons, some of them playful yet others were gruesome, little by little were consuming me.

---

The first demon is named Envy and her first visit was when I started to live with my grandmother. I was a shy little girl who talked little because I was adapting to those strangers' faces surrounding me. My mother, the only person I knew inside the house was always gone too at that time.

"Halika na, laro tayo." My grandmother's three-year old daughter came up to me.

I nodded at her. "Okay," We went inside her room and I was surprised that she had so many Barbie dolls with her. I never got to play with one- I always played with a fake, plastic stethoscope that my father gave me as a gift- but now, looking at the Barbie she was holding, that was when I first met Envy. Envy was whispering gibberish words I could not decipher as I watch my aunt brush the blonde hair of the beautiful Barbie doll. I tried to shake off Envy at that time, but several weeks later when my grandfather came home with a plastic bag with him, kisses my aunt on the cheeks and surprises her with a new Barbie doll, that was when Envy became my friend.

My grandmother eventually sent me to a school. The school was a more frightening place than my grandmother's house. It was filled with more strangers. I hated the feeling that at a crowded place I could not breathe. I did not speak to the little girls and boys, even to the teachers. I went to school feeling lonely and came home with the same empty feeling.

Little did I know was because of this emptiness, I met a new friend. His name is Gluttony.

Grandma scolded me when I did not get to finish my dinner that night. "Maraming bata ang nagugutom sa Pinas," she said with a slightly high pitched tone. "So finish your food. You're blessed that God gave you something to eat."

I did not like eating too much maybe because I wasn't use to these kind of luxury. Back at our old house in Cavite, my father will just cook scrambled eggs for me and my siblings to eat. It was different here in my grandmother's home. Because of the fear that I will be scolded once again, I made it a point to finish my meals and as the time pass, I get to enjoy eating.

That was when Gluttony introduced himself to me. I did not realize that I was eating too much already, that I ate for just mere pleasure and not to satisfy my needs anymore. After school, I always ran to the kitchen to get something to eat. The food made me forget my loneliness, the food that I was consuming made me feel that I wasn't empty anymore... but boy I was ever so wrong.

"Apologize to your brother now," My mother raised her voice at me and it did not scare me anymore. It wasn't the first time that I heard her use that tone anyway.

Tears started to gush and flow through my cheeks. "I won't because you don't even know the story. You're not listening to me!" I responded and ran back to my room. I covered my face with the pillow as I hear my siblings, aunt, and uncle play outside at the living room.