Home

Liriko 2's Battles Round Entry.

--

Home

by superjelly

(Team Hope)

            Perlas ng Silangan is a suborbital air-launched spaceplane designed and developed by a joint venture between Paul Alexander's aviation company and Filipino engineers who specialize in formulating designs and manufacture for spacecrafts. The release took place at an altitude of 9 miles and a speed of 600 miles per hour, although the manned aircraft has a maximum speed of 5,250 miles per hour and can exceed to the altitude of 60 miles. The fuselage was long and cylindrical, and has barrel extensions added to the fore and to the aft of the wings.

            The bestial aircraft was truly a work of innovation, which was needed for a great purpose: human colonization of the planet Mars.

            After several scientific proposals and manned missions to Mars, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration eventually announced that the human race can finally settle on the planet after the successful terraforming, thus, making it habitable to humans. The phenomenal event led to global assemblies among different countries, the Philippines is one of those, to formally decide to move to the Planet Mars after Earth has become less habitable because of the unstoppable rampage of the vehement nature.

            The passengers of the spaceplane were comprised of celebrities, people from media, star players in a particular sport— Emmanuel being one of them. These are the people who have enough wealth to buy the first boarding tickets, and the less fortunate ones are left behind on Earth and to wait for their turns.

            Emmanuel Pacquito peered outside the plane's window to marvel at the astounding view of God's wonderful creation: the space. Staring at it up close, he cannot decide whether to feel frightened or to feel awed. Later on, he thought it was probably both.

            "Are you scared, Papa?" His son, Mick, asked out of curiosity.

            He laughed softly and smiled gently at his 10-year old son. "I am. This one's not something I can beat knockout on," Emmanuel shifted his gaze back outside the plane's window.  

            The first and only eight-division world champion, in which he has won ten world titles, as well as the first to win the lineal championship in four different weight classes. One of the highest paid athletes and one of the most influential people in the world.

            He was named "Fighter of the Decade", was called the Pambansang Kamao, and the Fighting Pride of his country— Emmanuel Pacquito was truly The Fighter.

            Looking at the Earth, wherein the sphere has become an almost brown in terms of color, he can't help but to wonder if there is still a reason to fight. It is about survival, yes, but why does he want to aim for that in the first place? The Earth he once loved was gone, and there was no way of getting it back to what it used to be. He cannot be the same fighter he was when he was still living on Earth. He wondered if life's still worth fighting for if everything would be gone at any moment without warning. Questions began to fill his mind.

            What is he truly fighting for?

            ***

            "You're too short and light, no way you'll be a professional boxer, you dumbass!"

            This wasn't the first time Emmanuel has heard those words. There were a lot of them who made fun of him whenever he would say that he wanted to be a professional boxer someday. Judging by Emmanuel's appearance, as a skinny and short 14-year old, one would not really see him as a man who fights inside the ring, contending against bulky men with iron fists. But these judgments did not stop him from reaching for his dreams, especially with the support of his best friend, Eugene, who was also an aspiring boxer. Together, they would train after classes with the use of rice sacks and worn pillows as their punching bags. Eugene acted as a coach for Emmanuel, and Emmanuel did the same for Eugene. However, these trainings were put into a halt when Eugene was diagnosed with terminal cancer.