Epilogue: Where Are They Now

Through all the tragedy of the years following the Battle of Arnor, a single spark of hope had brightened Gondor. Arwen gave birth to a third daughter, Sídhil, a year after the departure of the children of Elrond. By the age of nine, she had a formidable track record of causing trouble. Her family blamed it on her favorite cousin, Aderthon, who at the age of 49 was still eagerly causing trouble himself alongside his brother in arms, Eldarion.

Amdirien had grown to be the greatest diplomat and a wonderful Councilwoman of Gondor. Her skills with words was unparalleled.

Finduilas, receiving permission to forgo her position as a ranger of the south for Gondor, had moved to Rohan in order to assist Elfwine and his parents with the death of Edeva. Quickly accepted by the Rohirrim, she was working her way up in the ranks there.

Elboron was also a councilman on the Council of Gondor by this Year 50 of the Fourth Age. He remained an integral part of Elessar's advisors and now lived in Minas Tirith full time.

His brother Barahir became the captain of Ithilien's guards. He was still skinny, no matter how much he tried to put on weight, but he was a very skilled fighter.

Elfwine, now a grown man aged thirty-one, was second in command of Rohan's forces, under only his father Éomer. Not a day went by when he didn't miss his older sister, but he eventually learned to cope and even thrive.

Círeth and Fëalas, ever vigilant on the borders with Harad and Rhûn, were still renowned as the Captains of the Southern Dunédain. Círeth maintained her post in Northern Gondor, now extended all the way to Southern Mirkwood, and she watched Rhûn. Fëalas remained in Ithilien.

As captains of Gondor's army, Aderthon and Eldarion kept very busy. Both had lost sisters, and this only brought them closer together. They were like brothers. And like brothers, they pampered Sídhil.

"Aderthon!" Sídhil cried happily as her cousin came into the citadel where she was playing. "You're late!"

"Sorry," he laughed. "I was working!"

Sídhil ran over and gave him a big hug. She looked around and past him, trying to find her brother. But she didn't see him.

With a frown, she continued. "Where's Eldarion?"

Aderthon ruffled her hair. "He'll be here soon. Your father wanted a word with him."

Sídhil, whose name means peace, nodded vigorously. "Are we going to see the Houses of Healing today? You promised you would take me there to see it!"

"Didn't you go last week with your mother?" he asked in confusion. "I thought you'd want to see something a bit more exciting."

Her eyes grew wide. "Like what?"

Aderthon smirked. "Just have to wait until Eldarion gets here, I guess."

She glared at him and went to punch him in the stomach. Aderthon jumped back with a laugh and shook his head. But before too long, Eldarion arrived.

"Training grounds, then?" he asked with a grin. "You look like you need to get some energy out, Sídhil."

Her face brightened at the thought and immediately she ran up the stairs to her room. Retrieving her small sword balanced just for her, she ran back down the stairs and straight out the door, accompanied by the laughter of her brother and cousin.

"So, what did your father want?" asked Aderthon as he and his cousin walked slower after their young charge.

Eldarion sighed. "Apparently the Council have brought up concerns that none of us are married yet."

"So the usual?" Aderthon sighed. "Nothing new there."

"Except that now they want something done about it." Eldarion shook his head. "Apparently emissaries from Rhûn, Harad, Rohan, Dunland, and Nurn are sending female suitors here."

Aderthon looked at him in obvious surprise. "Really?"

"Since none of us have chosen out of love, they desire political marriages to strengthen Gondor." Eldarion sighed. "It makes sense."

What neither of them realized was just how dangerous this was going to be.

The End.

A/N: There we have it folks! The end of the second story in the Fëanoriel Chronicles. The end of the Return to the North.

Coming up next are two sequels: Exploring Westernesse and Dreams of Power. Be on the lookout for them!

LEAVE ME A REVIEW OR PM! How'd you like this?