Chapter Twenty-One: Jack

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Saturday, October 29th
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜  

I woke up and rubbed my eyes. I didn't remember changing but I was wearing Mark's blue t-shirt and gray sweatpants. I climbed out of his bed and looked around for him but didn't see him. I opened the door and quickly but quietly went down the stairs, holding onto my body. It was so much colder in the rest of his house than his bed was.

I looked in the living room and then walked back to the kitchen where I could see Mark with his back to me. Brewing coffee. "Mark?" I said quietly. He smiled as he turned to me.

"Oh, I didn't know you woke up, you can come in here you know. You don't have to sit there peering into the room." Mark laughed. I walked over to where he leaned on the island. "How do you feel?"

"Better." I admitted. "I mean, I'm cold right now, but I feel better."

"You're cold? Really? Do you want a sweatshirt or something?" Mark asked. I shook my head and noticed that Mark was not willing to break eye contact with me.

"Why are you staring at me?" I asked.

"Your eyes are just really blue." Mark laughed lightly. "They're gorgeous." I felt my face turning red as he said this and I leaned forward on my hands as I looked at him. I took his glasses off his face. "I can still see you when you're up this close." He whispered.

"The light was reflecting off your glasses." I whispered back. "I don't see why you keep saying things about my eyes, you're are so deep and warm and wonderful."

"They're just brown." Mark laughed quietly.

"There's more to them than that." I smiled.

"Good morning Mark!" I heard someone say and I stood up, still holding onto Mark's glasses. Mark's father, Ned, walked in and I stood completely still. "Oh, hi Jack. I should have known you were here, I heard a bit of ruckus when you came in last night."

"S-Sorry." I stuttered, I was really nervous under the eyes of Mark's father. He looked down at the fact that I was holding Mark's glasses and I quickly placed them on the counter and gave a nervous laugh.

"Why are you so nervous?" Ned asked me.

"It's just what he does." Mark turned to me. I let out a sigh and realized that I was making a total idiot of myself in front of Mark's father.

"There's nothing wrong with it." Ned shrugged. "If you're nervous, it means you care enough not to mess something up. It's alright considering we've only met a few times, I eventually hope that won't be the case anymore."

Mark laughed at me and then poured me a cup of coffee, sliding it in front of me and poured one for himself and his father and put a lot of unnecessary things in it. "You don't want anything in yours, right Jack?"

"Uh.. No thank you." I shook my head. "I like it as coffee."

"That's what I thought." Mark said as he sat down at the island, gesturing for me to sit next to him and I did. Ned leaned on the counter behind him and sipped on his coffee.

"So, how was the party?" Ned asked.

"Really fun!" Mark spoke up and I was so very relieved that he did and I didn't. "I mean, neither of us dance a lot, so it wasn't really anything special but hanging around one another."

"Now were you two drunk when you came in?" Ned asked.

"Oh, no. Why?" Mark asked.

"I think one of you might just sob when you're drunk unfortunately." Ned laughed a little bit. "It's alright if you were, I'm not going to tell anyone."