Chapter Thirty-Three: Jack

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Saturday, November 5th
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

"You better fucking keep a hold of yourself Jack, Bo and Wayne might not fuck you up, but I will." David muttered, only inches from my face. I could practically feel his fingers burning my skin.

I looked in the mirror, making sure there was no mark on my face and that there was no breakfast as well. I didn't eat much, my nerves were eating at me. Everything was a clusterfuck of frustration, and yet my mother was dragging me to a room where I would have to sit and look a man in the eyes who had beaten me senseless.

I tried to dress nice but casual, a black sweatshirt and blue jeans. That was fine, right? I figured it had to be, I didn't want to wear anything otherwise.

I found my mother in the kitchen, her hands placed down on the table as she looked in the same direction, her hang hung around her face and I could hear her taking deep breaths. What was she afraid about? I was the one who should be scared.

"Mum?" I said quietly, she turned her head up to me and gave me a small smile. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, hun." She said before kissing my head, and continued to hold onto my head, she adjusted my hair and continued to smile even though it looked like she was hurting. Shouldn't I have been the one who was hurting? Not her? "Try not to look so upset Jack, you're much more appealing when you smile."

"I'm not trying to impress you with my smile." I said quietly. "You're my mother."

"No but I'm sure that Mark would like to see you smile when he comes downstairs." My mother said as she lifted my chin with her finger. "It'll be okay, Sean. I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know." I nodded, trying not to react to the fact that she called me Sean and not Jack. "I know you wouldn't."

"What do you want to do after?" My mother asked.

"After?" I questioned.

"Yeah!" My mother laughed. "You deserve something special for not running away and hiding in a dumpster because I've asked you to do this. What do you want to do?"

"Sleep." I sighed. My mother laughed a little bit. "It's that or kill myself, so." This statement caught my mother off guard and made her eyes go wide. "I'm kidding. I wouldn't."

"Don't say shit like that." My mother scolded me but then turned her scold into a smile as she turned me out of the kitchen into the living room where Mark was already putting on his shoes. "Thank you for coming, Mark."

"I wanted to go." Mark smiled a little bit and when he saw me he opened his arms, expecting me just to walk into them. I know if I let him hug me, I would start crying. I was trying so hard to keep everything in, but I didn't know if I would be able to under Mark's touch.

I shook my head quickly and folded my arms as Mark gave a pout. "Why not?" He asked.

"N-No, Mark. Not right now." I breathed and avoided looking at his puppy eyes.

"Come on, we have to get going." My mother said gently before we walked out of the front door and then through the building before going out to where the car was. The wind was beginning to pick up and it was starting to become a bitter cold, I don't know how I felt about the cold if I was honest.

I tried to keep myself calm the entire ride there, and think about other things, I didn't really want to think about what I was going to be doing, or who I was going to see. I tried not to think about it at all, I didn't want to know what was about to happen.