Chapter Twenty-Three: Jack

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Sunday, October 30th
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜  

"Good morning, Jack. What are you doing up so early?" Ned asked me. I gave a shrug. "Come in here, come sit with us." I walked in the room and sat down in a chair on the far side. Everyone - including me - were still wearing their pajamas and talking nonchalantly. 

"How'd you sleep?" Shannon asked me after a beat of my silence.

"Good." I said. My voice was squeaky and annoying in my own opinion but I was practically shaking with nerves.

"So Jack, how's school going?" Ned asked. "Got any plans for next year?"

"Good and no." I shook my head.

"Do you want to go to college?" Shannon asked.

"Yeah but it seems kind of.. unlikely." I answered. "I'll probably move back to Ireland and see what happens from there."

"I see." Ned noted. The room fell quiet as casual conversation topics ran out. I was bouncing my leg and I felt like I was - in essence - about to throw up.

"Hey have you guys seen -" Mark walked in the room. "Oh there he is." Looks like I wasn't about to just sneak out of here. Mark walked and sat on the arm of the couch next to his brother while I shifted uncomfortably on the outskirts of their family. I wonder what caused my family to fall apart when this one looked so secure.

Mark's household model was something to be admired. Two parents with wonderful jobs. Two successful and smart sons. Living in a nice house where they all get along.

My household model was something to cringe at. One parent at home, the other in jail for abusive behavior. Two distant and unsuccessful, problematic sons. Living in a cheap apartment where no one ever is.

I listened to their conversation and it only felt like it was twisting my stomach more. Tom talked about college. Mark laughed at his stories and shared his own. No one dared to involve me. I was jittery, quiet and obnoxious.

"Well let me go make breakfast, are you going to stay for breakfast Jack?" Shannon asked as she turned to me. I didn't bother responding, I had no idea what she said. I wasn't paying attention.

"Yeah, he will." Mark spoke for me. I leaned back and wondered what he had signed me up for. "Jack you still look really tired." I shrugged. "Hey we're going to go upstairs. Just let us know when breakfast is done."

"Okay.." Ned said as if he didn't believe us. I sighed. Knowing Mark was probably going to yell at me for something. I followed him upstairs anyways and walked into his room, my arms folded across my chest.

"Why are you acting so weird?" Mark asked. "What's the matter?" Mark put one hand on my waist and cupped my face with the other. I let out a sigh and immediately pushed him off of me. "You've been acting weird since last night."

"I just wanna go home, alright?" I huffed. "And I don't want you touching me!" 

Mark watched me carefully. "Whenever you're trying to avoid your problems, home is the first place you want to go."

"Yeah cause you're not there!" I snapped at him. I folded my arms like a child and plopped down on the couch.

"What did I do?" Mark asked. "Don't act like a girl, I dated you because you're not a girl."

"Excuse me?"

"You're acting like a girl, y'know. Sitting there pouting because something's not going your way." Mark put his hands on his waist.