Final Chapter: Mark

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Saturday, July 22
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

Staring up at the ceiling, my eyes just barely falling closed when I heard a clatter of dishes in the kitchen that made me sit up. Adjusting my glasses, I stood up and walked out of the bedroom and to the kitchen where I could see Jack actually rummaging through everything to look for something. There was stuff everywhere.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as I looked at the mess.

"I know I left that rent paper somewhere, I just don't know where!" Jack sighed as he opened another drawer. I laughed and shook my head. "Mark! This isn't funny!"

"It is, actually considering you mailed out rent yesterday." I smiled and Jack freezed.

"Did I really?" Jack asked.

"Yeah." I nodded my head. "You made a mess for no reason." I began to pick things up and put them back as Jack did too.

"Sorry, I just want to make sure it's not late." Jack sighed as he put things back in the cupboard.

About a month ago, Jack and I had managed to scrounge up jobs so that we could afford an apartment in the town that we would be attending college in. We moved in a couple of weeks ago and went through our first process of paying rent. Jack was kind of a mess, but it was alright. I was too at times, we needed to steady one another out.

We worked around the same times every week, I usually finished about an hour before he did. It was only a few hours to where we previously lived, but Jack had found a quaint little internship that paid and I worked in a bookshop even though I had little to no interests in books. I have no idea how I got hired.

Jack told me I just looked like a nerd.

Isn't he just the greatest?

I sat down on the couch after I had helped Jack clean up and felt like taking a nap before Jack was practically sprinting through the apartment again, talking on his phone all the while. "What are you doing now?" I asked him without opening my eyes.

"Oh nothing!" Jack called back to me. I let out a sigh and ignored him entirely as I laid down on the couch. A few minutes later, I felt Jack shaking my body. I opened my eyes and looked at him. "I'll be right back." He told me.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

"You'll see!" Jack giggled as he stood up straight. "I'll be right back!"

He raced out of the apartment and I slept for about an hour when I heard the front door open again. "Sh, Mark is still sleeping." I heard Jack whispering and before I could even decide to look I felt him place something warm against me. There was a little whining noise like a..

"What the fuck!?" I screamed as I sat straight up and the small dog almost fell onto the floor if Jack wasn't there to catch it. "Jack, what the hell is there a dog in here for!? Are we allowed to have dogs!?"

"Now we are." Jack shrugged. "Isn't he cute?"

"Where did that dog come from?" I asked.

"Well, I got a call from one of my coworkers saying that they found a dog stuck in some sort of vent or something. They didn't know what to do with him, so I said I would take him because no one else wanted to." Jack said and lifted the little fluffy creature up to see me. "Aren't they just the cutest thing you've ever seen!" Jack was practically giggling as he held the creature who barked as if on cue. "Mark! We have to keep him look at a how cute he is!"

"We're not allowed to have pets." I sighed as I ran a hand down my face. "Can we even take care of a dog? That's a lot of work, Jack."

"I already talked to the owner." Jack sighed. "They said it was fine as long as it didn't get out." I paused, waiting for him to answer the second part. "And I think we can take care of him! We can't just get rid of him, he's so cute!" Jack turned the dog to face him and went wide eyed. "Oh my.."