Chapter Thirty-Eight: Mark

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Saturday, January 14
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

Walking down the same roads that Jack had found himself attacked on, he seemed perfectly fine and didn't seem to put the poor memories on the location like he did with closets.

He seemed pretty upbeat if I was honest. It was nice.

For a while he was nervous and shaky, he clutched onto me as if his life depended on it. I was fine with it, I needed him just as much as he needed me.

I felt my feet begin to slow when I could see my father walking down the street in the opposite direction. Jack - who was watching his feet - noticed me slow down and turned to me.

"Mark? What's the matter?" He asked.

"Mark!?" My father yelled and I wanted to turn and run but couldn't bring myself to do it. Jack stood in front of me, blocking all access for him to even come close to me.

"What do you want?" Jack snarled at the man.

"I just.. I saw him and he's my son." He said sourly and turned to me. "Mark I am so sorry for everything that happened but please, please come home."

"I'm not going anywhere near that woman again." I snarled at the man.

"We got divorced." He sighed and I was shocked about how blunt he was. "You were right, she was possessive and controlling. She wasn't who I married anymore. I didn't want to be with her."

"So you.. Got divorced?" I asked. I felt kind of bad that I had ruined my father's relationship. But maybe it was for the best.

"I'm surprised you didn't know. I asked Jack's mother to tell you many times." He said and I turned to Jack who shook his head, did he not know either? "Please, at least come have dinner with me. Both of you. I'll make you something nice. Just come around at six. That's al I'm asking for; a chance."

"I don't know.." I said quietly and felt Jack nudge me. "What?"

"He's trying to do the right thing." He whispered to me. "At least give him the chance to make things right with you."

"I want to make things right with you too." He said to Jack who was taken back. "You make Mark very happy, I know it, I want to welcome you both into my house. So please just give me the chance."

"Fine. But this is it." I said firmly. I still doubted him and I don't know if I ever wouldn't. But he left us and we continued down the street. Not a word exchanged between the two of us, at least not until we got back to the McLoughlin apartment.

"Should we dress up?" Jack asked as he slid his shoes off of his feet. I shrugged. "Also where is my mother? Mum!" There wasn't a sound. "Samantha!"

"Maybe she's not home yet." I shrugged.

Jack let out a sigh. "I was gonna ask if she knew about your parents' divorce." With that he turned to me. "Does it bother you?"

I shrugged and spoke. "I mean, I would rather just not go to dinner with my father. What if he's lying and my mother is still there?"

"I would have really liked to have a relationship with my father." Jack told me and I could see him doing his best not to look grim. "I think it's lovely that your father is making the initiative to bring you back into his life. He's only asking for a chance, even if he was lying, I think we should give him that chance." There was a long pause. "So, what's should I wear?"

I laughed. "Hell if I know. You'll look good in just about anything. I wouldn't even say you needed to change."

"I want to look nice though." Jack shrugged.