Chapter 14

Pierre's mum dropped me off at school and managed to sign me in for late arrival, if anyone asked, I was at a doctors appointment with my "aunty". I walked into my homeroom, I could feel Sabby eyeing me as I sat down, "What?" I asked impatiently. "Where were you?" She asked inquisitively. "I went to see Pierre." I whispered as our maths teacher wrote a problem on the board. "Aleece, you could've gotten into trouble, did you mum know?" "No." She shook her head and continued writing her word problems.
That night when I went home, I remembered Ms. Veronica's offer to learn how to bake her signature scones. I ran as quickly as I could to her house and rang the doorbell, the door opened seconds later. "Aleece, please come in," she said, I ducked beneath her arm and went inside. "Why aren't you changed?" She asked looking at me. I had a black skirt and yellow blouse in my bag that I saved for the "baking lesson" because I knew I couldn't go home. "I've got change, do you mind if I use your convenience?" She nodded her head. "Along the hall, second door to the right." "Thank you." I walked into the bathroom and immediately got a strong hit of fresh mint and marigold flowers, There were buddhas that were placed on the sides of the sink and silver chains with diamonds, hanging off the wall to wall mirrors. There was a vanilla bean candle that was lit on the window ledge that made the room smell very sweet. In a good way. The atmosphere was beautiful, it was calming. I took off my uniform and put on my skirt and blouse. I looked like a church girl. I took my braid out and fixed my hair into a bun. I splashed water on my face and looked at my reflection in the mirror. The lying to my mother had to stop. It just had to. I picked up my stuff and put them into my bag, I opened the door and made my way back to the living room. "Aleece," Ms Veronica called from the kitchen, I followed her voice to find her with an apron and ingredients on her granite bench. "Please, put on this apron and let's get started," She said as she handed me a purple apron. "Okay, first off, you have to put all the dry ingredients together," she made me mix the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon as she mixed together the milk an eggs. "Then you mix both together." She placed all the ingredients together and started mixing with a spatula. "So, was that your boyfriend, the one at the pier?" Her question caught me by surprise, I remembered her at the pier. "Um, yes, I guess you could say that." "What's his name? " she asked as the mixture started to thicken gradually. "Pierre," I said calmly. "Pierre and Aleece and the pier, how ironic," "that's what I said!" I added with a laugh. She placed the now thickened mixture that was now dough on the bench and she started to knead it with milk and oil. "Does you mother know about him?" She asked struggling to keep her breath under control, "No, no she doesn't," I said completely ashamed. "Do you plan on telling her?" She stopped kneading now, and she was looking right at me. "Wait, why are you asking me all this?" I asked a little bit annoyed. "Nothing," she said as she started to divide the kneaded dough into scone sized bits. "It's just I had a daughter too, she lied to me too, a lot." "Where is she now?" I asked clearly interested . "That's not for you to know, just stop lying to your mother, it brings no good Alana Leece." Her voice serious. Alana Leece. I thought, I hadn't told her my full name, so how did - "wait how do you- " my question was cut short. She picked up an unbaked scone piece and put it in my face. "And that Aleece, is how you make scones, that's your lesson wasn't it? Tomorrow I can teach you some other pastry right? Now get you stuff and well, good bye." She said as she wiped her hands on her apron. I found it weird that she'd just kick me out like this, I took off my apron and I walked back into the living room and picked my bag up. "Well, see you tomorrow, I guess," I said a little weirdly. "Yes. Good bye Aleece," she called back from the kitchen. Who was this woman, I thought as I reached my front door. Who was Ms. Veronica?

I won't have my phone for 2 days, I get it back on Sunday, so please be patient I will publish 15,16,17,18 and 19 all on Sunday, sorry for the inconvenience 💖
xx caris