Chapter 20

A week later from my "happy" birthday. I had woken up at 6:35am every morning. I just sat in bed staring at the walls. My wrists hurt. The cuts I engraved into them were still healing slowly, they were quite deep and they had a dark maroon shade surrounding each of them. Today I woke up again at the same early time. I pulled my hair into a pony tail, it stuck to my neck like honey, it was irritating. I walked into the bathroom and filled the tub with warm water. I didn't have any phone anymore, since I broke mine, so I just read the latest issue of "Cosmopolitan" I turned the first page and a huge article was written about baths. "People who take warm baths feel like they need them because they do not feel that warmth from the people around them," I read aloud. "Bullshit," I muttered and threw the magazine across the bathroom floor. I pushed my head back into the water and closed my eyes. Here, under the water. I felt at peace. Like no one could touch me, I was at a point in my life where I felt abandoned and lied to by everyone around me. Our supposably called "clique" broke out into a fight the day after my birthday. Which clearly meant I had no friends anymore. Everyday was hell.
I got out of the shower, put on my uniform, did my hair and walked out the door. Mum wasn't there. Ha. Like that was new.
I got onto the bus and there was one seat left. I cursed under my breath, it was a boy, of about my age sitting in the two seater I had to share with. Brown hair, long eyelashes. He was pretty good looking, I would've smiled at him if I hadn't been so angry at all boys for what Pierre did to me. I know it was stupid but we all had our different ways of healing. I guess he knew I was an over dramatic, over weight, teenage failure. He looked at me and looked straight down. I sat next to him and I left exactly 6 inches of space between us. He kept looking up at me, like he was meaning to ask me a question. "What?" I snapped. He quickly looked down. I took a deep breath, "Come on Aleece, just because your life is crap doesn't mean you should make his the same." I heard myself think. "I'm sorry, that was rude," I said slowly, looking down ashamed of the way I acted. He looked up at me, his eyes were a hazel brown color that completely made his skin color seem more interesting. Like warm caramel with a touch of thickened cream. "It's fine," he said still looking down. He turned a bit and I noticed our school badge on his uniform. "Hey, you go to Nathryn High too? I swear I have never seen you before," I said smiling a bit. "Oh, I'm an exchange student. My mum and dad just moved here with my sister and I," He said. "That's my sister." He looked back and he pointed to girl sitting across from the last seat. She had long hair and face features exactly like him. She looked up and smiled. She had her nose buried in a physics book with a pencil in her hand. "She's older than you?" " Yeah, how'd you know?" He asked looking at me. "The physics book gave it away. We don't take physics," I said with some attitude. "And how sure are you that I'm your age?" He shot back with a sarcastic smile. This kid was something else "lucky guess?" I said "well, you must eat a lot of lucky charms because you're actually right." He laughed and his eyes disappeared into his caramel colored cheeks. I felt myself smile, it had been a  while. He looked down and went quiet. "What happened? Cat got your tongue," I said with a giggle. My giggle started to fade as I felt his hand grab my wrist slowly. He looked at my cuts with a sad expression written across his face. His eyes slowly moved up to my face and I quickly grabbed my hand back and turned the other direction. "We don't have to talk about it, if you don't want to." I didn't want to. That was the thing, I just wanted to forget my reality for one freaking second. I turned to face him again. "We don't have to," he said smiling. "I'm Aleece," I looked up at him with a glimpse of hope. "I'm Bill."