Chapter 31

Knowlen and I were okay, everyday after that got better. We only met up at certain times because he said he was always busy. I didn't mind. School was practically over and most of the students were just coming to school to kill time till the summer fair opened. The summer fair in Illinois was important to a lot of people, no matter the age. It was this coming Saturday and since today was Friday everyone was super hyped for the fair. There was so much activity within the suburbs for the fair, people were meeting up and making plans in and out of the neighborhood. I was also excited to go myself, I was invited to accompany Bill and Sam. I was hoping that Knowlen would come with us. So I decided to go down to Bill's house and confirm everything with him. I put on my strawberry colored vans and my off shade denim overalls and headed out the front door. The sky was a clean blue and the clouds were a shade of white and this yellowish stain from the sun made them glow. It was a beautiful day and I was feeling on top of the world because I was finally gonna get out of the house something I obviously hadn't done in ages. I walked along the steady foot path until I came across a cream shaded house, it was two stories high, with a black palette and white trimmed highlights. In front of the yard stood an indie elephant made out of white pebble stone, shot crystal clear water out of it's trunk. This was Bill's house. It was surrounded in pretty bunches of flowers all highlighting the different shades of summer. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted Taea she was amoungst the huge frangipani tree, she had on a purple cotton dress and her dark brown hair fell against her back, she was picking flowers and she had this huge smile plastered on her face. "Aleece!" She half  yelled when she saw me. "Hi Taea," I said with a smile. "Is Bill or Sam there?" She quickly turned around and yelled toward the house. "Bill! Sam! Aleece is here!" I found is so interesting that a girl so petite and angelic looking had a strong voice inside of her. Taea was beautiful, she was simply herself and that was enough for the people around her. My train of thought was then distracted by two highlighted t-shirts scrambling down the stairs. Bill and Sam were running towards the gate. By the time they reached me they were both out of breath and holding their hands were holding their sides, gasping for air. "Hey Aleece, what's up?" Bill said between breaths. "Um I was just wondering what time we'd go out tonight?" I said looking down at my vans. "Oh, we can go at 8," Bill said with a smile. "Um, do you think Knowlen would want to come?" I asked slowly. "Um, I can ask him." "Don't bother him! If he can't come then, it's fine. So yeah, I'll see you guys tonight," I said, starting to walk away. I was about six blocks away from Bill's house when a familiar face caught my eye. Knowlen. "Knowlen!" I called out. He looked at me quickly and continued walking in the other direction. "Why is he avoiding me?" I heard myself ask. Leave it, I'll hopefully see him tonight. I carried on walking until I reached my house. I opened the door an my mum was picking up he bag from the couch. "I got to go hun, there's 60 bucks on the counter for tonight and some apple pie in the fridge, the office is holding an emergency meeting and I need to attend it." Before I had a chance to say anything she had managed to put on her black heels, kiss my forehead, pick her black bag up and just like that she was out the door. I just sighed and went to the fridge. "Food," I mumbled. I took out the apple pie and cut a slice. It was wonderful, the crust was flaky and had a crunchy yet soft texture and the apples were just cooked right. Not mushy, not crunchy. In between. Like a good apple pie. It was only 12:34pm and I still had quarter a day left, my only friends in this neighborhood were Bill, Sam and Taea. I mean Knowlen and I would always meet once in awhile to do hopeless romantic stuff in the bleachers but recently he started becoming distant. He never showed up any more. It was like he wanted me gone. I decided to sit in front of the telly and binge watch scream queens. I closed up the house and plugged in mum's hard drive. "Well, let's waste this day shall we," I said getting comfortable on the couch. How nice, I thought. Wasting time, Aleece's job.