Chapter 21

Chapter 21
BEAU

I went outside for ten minutes just to call Daniel and get some fresh breaths of air. Even though Daniel was dopey, he always knew what to say, and when to say it.

"Just breath, relax and pray. Keep telling yourself everything is gonna be alright" he told me.

"But I'm not exactly religious" I replied

"Don't worry, just keep praying. Maybe you'll find some peace"

I ended the call and sat down on a camo-green hammock (the same chair I had sat on a couple of days before)
I looked up to the sky and let my eyes close.

"Hey big guy. So you know I don't do this a lot. But I really need your help. It's only one thing I need. I need for you to make Zoe be alright. I need for you to make Zoe happy and for the cancer to be cleared out of her. Please let her live, she did nothing to deserve this, she's a good person. Her eyes shine like the stars, her smile is heart warming. She is beautiful. She is kind, loving and patient. She is my soulmate. She is the one for me. I don't think another person is going to come around like her again. She is too good to lose. She is my all, my everything. I need her. Please don't take her away from me. Please"

I blinked back the tears and looked back up to the sky.

"Please let her live"

When I strolled back into the building, Chris and his parents were gone. I collapsed back into one of the chairs in the waiting room, trapped in my own little world.

"You know Zoey's in that room over there, don't you?" I heard a voice inform me

I snapped out of my world and say Joyce standing there pointing to a small little room.

I blinked and ran down the corridor, racing into her room. I saw Zoe surrounded by Chris and her parents.

"Beau" she said in almost a whisper.

I walked in the room, everything starting to feel like a dream. I looked at Chris, who had a sly look in his eye.

"Why didn't you tell me she was here?" I asked

"Like I said; family is all that matters" Chris said.

"Lies." I spat. I could feel myself start to turn red. I knew that wasn't a lie, growing up all my life without a good father, I knew it wasn't a lie. Family was everything. But I was family to Zoe, well Zoe was more family to me than Jai was.

The conversation between Zoe and her parents stopped. They looked at me, clearly shocked.

"I think you need to calm down-" Zoey's father said.

"And after all that stuff you said to me about being a man and being strong. I'm not going to calm down! I thought you actually cared about me."

"Beau please stop" Zoey whispered. Here eyes were covered in big black circles. She was looking frailer than ever.

"Zoe, I thought you were dead." I said feeling my self start to come emotional again.

"I'm not. Yet"

I froze. "What?"

"The cancer has spread to my brain. In fact, it's spread to my whole body. I only have a week to live" her eyes closed and I saw a little tear stream down her pale face.

My brain couldn't take in this information.
"N-no"

I fell to the floor, feeling myself choke on my tears. All I remember was Zoe's dad rushing over holding me close again.

She was going to die.

She was going to be taken away from me. Forever.