Chapter Twenty Two

Zoe's POV:

I couldn't sleep at all. I watched my poor innocent daughter sleeping beside me, debating on whether or not to leave like my Mom requested.

I sighed, and wiped my wet face. I got out of bed, and sneaked down the stairs. It was five in the morning, so nobody would be up.

I went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and saw a newspaper on the counter. Picking it up, I realized it was on the page for flat listings. My mouth fell open, and I threw it in the trash. I walked up the stairs, and went into Honesty's room.

I pulled out a brown cardboard box, and piled it full of her favorite toys. I shoved most of her clothes on top, and walked quickly down the stairs, and out the door. I shifted the box to my hip so I could open the back door to my mini van, and sat it in the very back seat.

I went back inside, and packed all of my clothes in two bags. I wiped the tears from my face as I finished piling all of my most important items in my car, and went back inside for the third time to get Honesty.

"Honesty, baby, c'mon." I said, my voice very low. She rolled around on her stomach, and shook her head. I groaned quietly, and lifted her up. I grabbed her pillow and blanket on the way out my bedroom, and took one last look at the room. My curtains were down, my comforter was off, and the dresser drawers were close to empty. I walked very carefully down the stairs, and made sure to lock the door on my way out.

I buckled in my daughter, and didn't look at the house again. My Mother has a very low tolerance for trouble. I remember being thirteen and walking on the streets in the rain for a whole day, thinking my Mother would never let me back in the house, because I hit my sister in the head.

My sister. I hadn't spoken to her in two days and here I am, leaving without an explanation.

I texted her, telling her goodbye, and to call me when she wakes up.

I pulled out the driveway before I could change my mind, and forced tears back as I left the house I've grown accustomed to. The only house my baby girl has ever lived in. I allowed a sob to break through my chest as I realized it was all my fault.

Pulling up to a stop light, it began to rain. I realized I have no where to go, and only one hundred pounds. I wiped my face again, and looked out for the next motel.

I finally found one, claiming to have the best internet and cheapest rooms in London, so I pulled into the parking lot, and parked my car.

I pulled Honesty from her car seat, and grabbed the bag with her clothes and my clothes, locked the doors and walked inside.

"Hello." A wrinkly woman said, her voice hoarse. Probably from smoking.

"Hi, can I get a room for one night?" I asked, my heart thumping quickly in my chest.

"Sure, hon. That'll be eleven pounds." She smiled. I nodded, and pulled out a ten and a one.

"Here." I smiled as we traded. I took the key card, and led Honesty by the hand to the motel room. I pulled the ugly green door open and wanted to cry at the strong smell of moth balls and nicotine. Honesty wrinkled her nose.

"It stinks!" She groaned, walking to the small double bed.

"I know, we'll be out of here soon." I sighed.

I looked out the window, and saw the sun gently rising over the clouds.

"Why did we leave Granny?" Honesty asked, bouncing on the bed.

"Granny wanted some space." I lied.

"Oh!" She giggled, jumping up and down.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, and pulled it out.